Banks are starting to explore the use of USSD which is the Unstructured Supplementary Services Data protocol that will enable a faster way to have your Java ME tech-enabled cell phone talk to your bank services. What could your cell phone possibly want to say to your bank account? Ooh, I don't know... Maybe something like: "Give me MORE MONEY!" :-)
See:
Java ME talks to banks
Here's a quote: USSD applications can be implemented using a wide variety of mobile application platforms such as J2ME, WAP, SIM Toolkit, CAMAL, or simply using USSD commands. More secure than standard SMS messages since USSD interactions can be stored locally within a secured SIM application, or on the server side. That's great. Next thing we know, our TV remotes will be talking to our credit card accounts. I wonder what that conversation will be like...
Hinkmond

More...