Managing Multiple Devices? - SNMP

This is a discussion on Managing Multiple Devices? - SNMP ; Hello group, I have a simple and probably a very common question. Sorry if this has been discussed here before, but I haven't been able to get any answers browsing past discussions, so here we go (again): At my job, ...

  1. Managing Multiple Devices?

    Hello group,

    I have a simple and probably a very common question. Sorry if this has
    been discussed here before, but I haven't been able to get any answers
    browsing past discussions, so here we go (again):

    At my job, we design small network-aware devices (sprinklers). These
    don't have SNMP capabilities. I have been assigned the task of creating
    a small sever (= my own agent, written from scratch) that talks to
    these devices, and makes them available to a SNMP manager (we are using
    HP-OV Network Node Manager). It is required that each of these devices
    are seen as their own network element in the manager window. Let me say
    this again: every device is seen as one (1) icon in the node view i
    NNM, all connected to the machine that runs my "agent" software.

    I was under the impression that this can be done using some proxy MIB,
    but I cant get it to work. I was hoping that by placing each device's
    data in a special place (some-magical-oid.index.data) in my agent's MIB
    would do the trick, and I have tried many different variants with no
    luck

    So my questions: how do I do this? this must be a very common
    applications, so why can't I find that magical MIB that does this??

    A last option for me (which I', very much trying to avoid) is to write
    some sort of plug-in to NNM. Where on the earth do I find documentation
    on this? I have browsed every CD that HP have sent me, but I can't find
    that magical document that explains this.

    So any suggestions about a proxy-MIB or a NNM specific solution (a
    plugin or a NNM MIB) or anything else that could solve my problem would
    be most welcome

    Thank you in advance,
    Woo

    (please note that I cant use any third-party libraries. Please tell me
    how to do it instead of directing me to some app that already does it)

  2. Re: Managing Multiple Devices?

    HI,

    For proxies...
    If you are using SNMPv1 or SNMPv2c, then you would use a different
    community string value for each device. If you are using SNMPv3,
    then you would use a different engineID for the value of field
    contextEngineID.

    How to integrate this with HPov - I don't know the details.
    I believe that the information is available with the HPovNNM
    software. In the past, you could download a 30 day trial
    for no cost. There is lots of documenation that comes
    with HPovNNM.

    Please note that I believe that it will cost you much more
    to create from scratch an SNMP proxy agent than using
    commercial or freely available software. Likewise, HPovNNM
    seems quite a bit heavy weight for this project.

    Also, if I was doing this, I would probably not use a
    proxy approach. Instead, I would manage the "sprinkler
    system", and create MIB objects for the sprinklers.
    (I think there is an example in a book, called
    Understanding SNMP MIBs.)

    On Mon, 17 Oct 2005, tang.woo@gmail.com wrote:
    > Hello group,
    >
    > I have a simple and probably a very common question. Sorry if this has
    > been discussed here before, but I haven't been able to get any answers
    > browsing past discussions, so here we go (again):
    >

    > At my job, we design small network-aware devices (sprinklers). These
    > don't have SNMP capabilities. I have been assigned the task of creating
    > a small sever (= my own agent, written from scratch) that talks to
    > these devices, and makes them available to a SNMP manager (we are using
    > HP-OV Network Node Manager). It is required that each of these devices
    > are seen as their own network element in the manager window. Let me say
    > this again: every device is seen as one (1) icon in the node view i
    > NNM, all connected to the machine that runs my "agent" software.
    >
    > I was under the impression that this can be done using some proxy MIB,
    > but I cant get it to work. I was hoping that by placing each device's
    > data in a special place (some-magical-oid.index.data) in my agent's MIB
    > would do the trick, and I have tried many different variants with no
    > luck
    >

    > So my questions: how do I do this? this must be a very common
    > applications, so why can't I find that magical MIB that does this??
    >
    > A last option for me (which I', very much trying to avoid) is to write
    > some sort of plug-in to NNM. Where on the earth do I find documentation
    > on this? I have browsed every CD that HP have sent me, but I can't find
    > that magical document that explains this.
    >
    > So any suggestions about a proxy-MIB or a NNM specific solution (a
    > plugin or a NNM MIB) or anything else that could solve my problem would
    > be most welcome
    >

    > Thank you in advance,
    > Woo
    >

    > (please note that I cant use any third-party libraries. Please tell me
    > how to do it instead of directing me to some app that already does it)

  3. Re: Managing Multiple Devices?

    It had been a long time since I have worked with NNM (6.0) so take it
    with a grain of salt.

    NNM has the ability to map IP nodes. Unless HP had enhanced the
    discovery capabilities, I don't think that NNM can discover proxied
    entities. The most simple solution (AFAICT) is to assign a different IP
    to each sprinkler, and let your server disguise to a be router routing
    traffic to the various sprinkler IPs. You will have to do more work in
    the agent (different handling for different destination IPs) but you
    will gain a compatibility with almost all of the network managers.

    HTH
    Mark Kaplun.

    http://www.marksw.com

  4. Re: Managing Multiple Devices?

    I don't understand, this should be the second most common use of HPOV!!
    (the first one is letting netmon show a complete map of your huge
    network to impress your boss, without really knowing what it is good
    for)

    Anyway, here are two other possible solutions I had on my mind:

    1. make the agent a manager instead, and then let it share information
    with NNM via inform requests (or whatever they use to talk). this way,
    NNM will just present data and wont care where it is from (hopefully)

    2. add everything manually into NNM map. set the agent as their SNMP
    proxy.

    the first one might work, but i simply don't know enough about OV to do
    it myself. any suggestions?

    I tried the second solution today, and I couldn't get netmon to poll
    these proxied devices (and yes, I did add SNMP-poll to the polling
    configuration). does anyone knows what is wrong? has this something to
    do with the objects not being reachable (e.g. with ICMP pings)?

    I tried to mask my agent as a router, as Mark mentioned. and it still
    didn't work

    are there any working example configuration of this?

    thank you for your help,
    Woo

    PS. Where on the NNM CDs can I find documentation on these stuffs?
    (yes, I do have a NNM license with the dev-pak and all the extra stuff)

    mark kaplun skrev:

    > It had been a long time since I have worked with NNM (6.0) so take it
    > with a grain of salt.
    >
    > NNM has the ability to map IP nodes. Unless HP had enhanced the
    > discovery capabilities, I don't think that NNM can discover proxied
    > entities. The most simple solution (AFAICT) is to assign a different IP
    > to each sprinkler, and let your server disguise to a be router routing
    > traffic to the various sprinkler IPs. You will have to do more work in
    > the agent (different handling for different destination IPs) but you
    > will gain a compatibility with almost all of the network managers.
    >
    > HTH
    > Mark Kaplun.
    >
    > http://www.marksw.com

+ Reply to Thread