recommendations wanted: secure agent (and a manager to go with it) - SNMP

This is a discussion on recommendations wanted: secure agent (and a manager to go with it) - SNMP ; Hi folks -- A client wants to deliver in his hardware product an embedded-WinXP-resident SNMP agent that offers a range of security mechanisms from weakest (v1 community) to the strongest possible -- is that v3? The client is in the ...

  1. recommendations wanted: secure agent (and a manager to go with it)

    Hi folks --

    A client wants to deliver in his hardware product an
    embedded-WinXP-resident SNMP agent that offers a range of security
    mechanisms from weakest (v1 community) to the strongest possible -- is
    that v3?

    The client is in the security business, so it won't do to ship an agent
    with security holes. On the other hand, the client's customer ought to
    have the option to choose and configure the level of security that fits
    his needs: weak, medium, strong, strongest, whatever the end customer
    wants. The agent should accomodate customers' disparate security
    policies.

    Beyond security needs, the agent wants (decreasing importance) to:

    1. must-have: allow extension to handle client's enterprise MIB.
    2. be written in C/C++, or at least not be Java code.
    3. support mib-2 under XP.
    4. run as a service under XP.
    5. be a drop-in replacement for the MS XP agent.
    6. be a .NET solution -- could be C# if so.

    Question 1: Is there an agent out there that can do all this security
    stuff?

    Question 2: Is there a manager somewhere that can be just as secure as
    the agent I'm looking for? Is it even realistic to look for such a
    manager?

    Thanks so much!

    -- Pete Wilson pete at pwilson.net

  2. Re: recommendations wanted: secure agent (and a manager to go withit)

    Hi Pete,

    The AGENT++Win32 agent meets requirements 1-5 of your list below.
    You can download the sources from http://www.agentpp.com.
    (Note: AGENT++Win32 is an add-on API to AgentX++, AGENT++,
    and SNMP++).

    You can use SNMP++ as the manager counter-part, although any
    standard conform tri-lingual SNMP API/tool could be used.

    Hope this helps.

    Regards,
    Frank Fock

    Pete wrote:

    >Hi folks --
    >
    >A client wants to deliver in his hardware product an
    >embedded-WinXP-resident SNMP agent that offers a range of security
    >mechanisms from weakest (v1 community) to the strongest possible -- is
    >that v3?
    >
    >The client is in the security business, so it won't do to ship an agent
    >with security holes. On the other hand, the client's customer ought to
    >have the option to choose and configure the level of security that fits
    >his needs: weak, medium, strong, strongest, whatever the end customer
    >wants. The agent should accomodate customers' disparate security
    >policies.
    >
    >Beyond security needs, the agent wants (decreasing importance) to:
    >
    >1. must-have: allow extension to handle client's enterprise MIB.
    >2. be written in C/C++, or at least not be Java code.
    >3. support mib-2 under XP.
    >4. run as a service under XP.
    >5. be a drop-in replacement for the MS XP agent.
    >6. be a .NET solution -- could be C# if so.
    >
    >Question 1: Is there an agent out there that can do all this security
    >stuff?
    >
    >Question 2: Is there a manager somewhere that can be just as secure as
    >the agent I'm looking for? Is it even realistic to look for such a
    >manager?
    >
    >Thanks so much!
    >
    >-- Pete Wilson pete at pwilson.net

  3. Re: recommendations wanted: secure agent (and a manager to go with it)

    Pete wrote:
    > Hi folks --
    >
    > A client wants to deliver in his hardware product an
    > embedded-WinXP-resident SNMP agent that offers a range of security
    > mechanisms from weakest (v1 community) to the strongest possible -- is
    > that v3?
    >
    > The client is in the security business, so it won't do to ship an agent
    > with security holes. On the other hand, the client's customer ought to
    > have the option to choose and configure the level of security that fits
    > his needs: weak, medium, strong, strongest, whatever the end customer
    > wants. The agent should accomodate customers' disparate security
    > policies.
    >
    > Beyond security needs, the agent wants (decreasing importance) to:
    >
    > 1. must-have: allow extension to handle client's enterprise MIB.
    > 2. be written in C/C++, or at least not be Java code.
    > 3. support mib-2 under XP.
    > 4. run as a service under XP.
    > 5. be a drop-in replacement for the MS XP agent.
    > 6. be a .NET solution -- could be C# if so.
    >
    > Question 1: Is there an agent out there that can do all this security
    > stuff?

    http://marksw.com/snmpv3agent/windowsagent.html support your 1-5
    requirements

    As for requirement 6, I don't think such an agent exists.

    > Question 2: Is there a manager somewhere that can be just as secure as
    > the agent I'm looking for? Is it even realistic to look for such a
    > manager?

    There are many styles of SNMP managers which implements currectly the
    security related features, in many computer langs (there might even be
    a .NET one) ranging from simple command lines, to enterprise network
    management tools. You will probably need to define the functionality
    you require from the manager, in order to get a less general answer.

    > Thanks so much!
    >
    > -- Pete Wilson pete at pwilson.net

    Mark.

+ Reply to Thread