MODULE-IDENTITY format question - SNMP

This is a discussion on MODULE-IDENTITY format question - SNMP ; I am having a problem loading a newly developed MIB into IBM Tivoli using "loadmibv2". I get an error that states "No label for parent. Accepted syntax for MODULE-IDENTITY nodes: { label1 [ label2(subid2) .... ] object-subid1 } Bad parse ...

  1. MODULE-IDENTITY format question

    I am having a problem loading a newly developed MIB into IBM Tivoli
    using "loadmibv2". I get an error that states "No label for parent.
    Accepted syntax for MODULE-IDENTITY nodes: { label1 [ label2(subid2)
    .... ] object-subid1 }
    Bad parse of MODULE-IDENTITY: On or around line 25
    Mib table is bad."

    The following MODULE-IDENTITY statement causes the above error.

    someModule MODULE-IDENTITY
    LAST-UPDATED "9103310000Z"
    ORGANIZATION "uh huh"
    CONTACT-INFO "blah blah"
    DESCRIPTION "blah blah"
    ::= { ambiguous 2121 23 3 4}

    The followin MODULE-IDENTITY statement works. Note the "2121 23 3" have
    been replaced with labels. I have seen many other MIBs that use the
    following format.

    someModule MODULE-IDENTITY
    LAST-UPDATED "9103310000Z"
    ORGANIZATION "uh huh"
    CONTACT-INFO "blah blah"
    DESCRIPTION "blah blah"
    ::= { ambiguous entname prodname mibsbranch 4}

    What am I doing wrong?

  2. Re: MODULE-IDENTITY format question

    Bill wrote:

    > I am having a problem loading a newly developed MIB into IBM Tivoli
    > using "loadmibv2". I get an error that states "No label for parent.
    > Accepted syntax for MODULE-IDENTITY nodes: { label1 [ label2(subid2)
    > ... ] object-subid1 }
    > Bad parse of MODULE-IDENTITY: On or around line 25
    > Mib table is bad."
    >
    > The following MODULE-IDENTITY statement causes the above error.
    >
    > someModule MODULE-IDENTITY
    > LAST-UPDATED "9103310000Z"
    > ORGANIZATION "uh huh"
    > CONTACT-INFO "blah blah"
    > DESCRIPTION "blah blah"
    > ::= { ambiguous 2121 23 3 4}
    >
    > The followin MODULE-IDENTITY statement works. Note the "2121 23 3" have
    > been replaced with labels. I have seen many other MIBs that use the
    > following format.
    >
    > someModule MODULE-IDENTITY
    > LAST-UPDATED "9103310000Z"
    > ORGANIZATION "uh huh"
    > CONTACT-INFO "blah blah"
    > DESCRIPTION "blah blah"
    > ::= { ambiguous entname prodname mibsbranch 4}
    >
    > What am I doing wrong?

    There are two ways to address this question. First, one can start to
    discuss what is legal and what not. Second, once can start to discuss
    what is best current practice to achieve interoperability. To address
    the later, my recommendation is to always use the form

    {

  3. Re: MODULE-IDENTITY format question

    HI,

    See below...

    On Sat, 7 Oct 2005, Bill wrote:

    > I am having a problem loading a newly developed MIB into IBM Tivoli
    > using "loadmibv2". I get an error that states "No label for parent.
    > Accepted syntax for MODULE-IDENTITY nodes: { label1 [ label2(subid2)
    > ... ] object-subid1 }
    > Bad parse of MODULE-IDENTITY: On or around line 25
    > Mib table is bad."
    >
    > The following MODULE-IDENTITY statement causes the above error.
    >
    > someModule MODULE-IDENTITY
    > LAST-UPDATED "9103310000Z"
    > ORGANIZATION "uh huh"
    > CONTACT-INFO "blah blah"
    > DESCRIPTION "blah blah"
    > ::= { ambiguous 2121 23 3 4}

    This may or may not be valid, depending on whether or
    not "ambiguous" has an OID value.
    However, some MIB compilers do not allow that
    format. The error message provides you a hint.
    Change the above to
    ::= { ambiguous red(2121) green(23) yellow(3) 4 }

    > The followin MODULE-IDENTITY statement works. Note the "2121 23 3" have
    > been replaced with labels. I have seen many other MIBs that use the
    > following format.
    >
    > someModule MODULE-IDENTITY
    > LAST-UPDATED "9103310000Z"
    > ORGANIZATION "uh huh"
    > CONTACT-INFO "blah blah"
    > DESCRIPTION "blah blah"
    > ::= { ambiguous entname prodname mibsbranch 4}

    This is illegal in SNMP.

    > What am I doing wrong?

    In general, if you specify OID values in the form:
    { }
    They will be both valid and accepted by almost all
    MIB compilers.

    Regards,
    /david t. perkins

+ Reply to Thread