Changing ip address via SNMP? - SNMP

This is a discussion on Changing ip address via SNMP? - SNMP ; Hello, I would like to find how to change the ip address of a Cisco router using snmpset. I have found all this entries using snmpwalk but i don't know exactly which entries and how modify it: at.atTable.atEntry.atIfIndex.1.1.10.33.24.69 = 1 ...

  1. Changing ip address via SNMP?

    Hello,

    I would like to find how to change the ip address of a Cisco router
    using snmpset.

    I have found all this entries using snmpwalk but i don't know exactly
    which entries and how modify it:

    at.atTable.atEntry.atIfIndex.1.1.10.33.24.69 = 1
    at.atTable.atEntry.atPhysAddress.1.1.10.33.24.69 = Hex: 00 14 1C 15 2C 80
    at.atTable.atEntry.atNetAddress.1.1.10.33.24.69 = Network Address:
    0A:21:18:45

    ip.ipAddrTable.ipAddrEntry.ipAdEntAddr.10.33.24.69 = IpAddress: 10.33.24.69
    ip.ipAddrTable.ipAddrEntry.ipAdEntIfIndex.10.33.24 .69 = 1
    ip.ipAddrTable.ipAddrEntry.ipAdEntNetMask.10.33.24 .69 = IpAddress:
    255.255.248.0

    ip.ipAddrTable.ipAddrEntry.ipAdEntBcastAddr.10.33. 24.69 = 1
    ip.ipAddrTable.ipAddrEntry.ipAdEntReasmMaxSize.10. 33.24.69 = 18024
    ip.ipRouteTable.ipRouteEntry.ipRouteNextHop.10.33. 24.0 = IpAddress:
    10.33.24.69
    ip.ipNetToMediaTable.ipNetToMediaEntry.ipNetToMedi aIfIndex.1.10.33.24.69 = 1
    ip.ipNetToMediaTable.ipNetToMediaEntry.ipNetToMedi aPhysAddress.1.10.33.24.69
    = 0:14:1c:15:2c:80
    ip.ipNetToMediaTable.ipNetToMediaEntry.ipNetToMedi aNetAddress.1.10.33.24.69
    = IpAddress: 10.33.24.69
    ip.ipNetToMediaTable.ipNetToMediaEntry.ipNetToMedi aType.1.10.33.24.69 =
    static(4)

    Thank you for your help

    Regards

    Pilu

  2. Re: Changing ip address via SNMP?

    Hi Pilu,

    The MIB walk dump that you have attached basically displays the dump of
    RFC1213 ip and at groups. RFC1213 has been designed to allow the user
    to monitor (read) and not to manage network element. So what I' trying
    to explain here is that all the objects under ip and at leafs are
    read-only.

    Hope this helps,
    NetMechanica (Network Management Made Simple)
    http://www.netmechanica.com

  3. Re: Changing ip address via SNMP?

    NetMechanica wrote:

    > The MIB walk dump that you have attached basically displays the dump of
    > RFC1213 ip and at groups. RFC1213 has been designed to allow the user
    > to monitor (read) and not to manage network element. So what I' trying
    > to explain here is that all the objects under ip and at leafs are
    > read-only.

    Which is presumably why all three column objects in the atTable,
    the first two leaf objects in the IP group, every single column
    object in the ipNetToMediatTable, and all bar one column object
    in the ipRouteTable are defined using

    ACCESS read-write

    ???
    Where on *earth* did you get the idea that RFC1213 is effectively
    read-only?

    As far as the ipAddrTable is concerned, you happen to be correct.
    This table *is* read-only, and is designed to report the current
    configuration (rather than manipulate it dynamically).

    So to answer Pilu's original question - changing the address of
    local network interfaces isn't possible using SNMP.

    But it *is* perfectly possible to use SNMP to manipulate other
    aspects of the network configuration, such as the routing tables,
    or the ARP tables.

    Dave

  4. Re: Changing ip address via SNMP?

    HI,

    In the below, it looks like Dave Shield, in frustration (probably)
    overstated the situation when he said...
    > So to answer Pilu's original question - changing the address of
    > local network interfaces isn't possible using SNMP.

    It is possible to change the IP address of interfaces. However,
    there are no objects in RFC 1213 that support this. Many
    device vendors have provided proprietary objects to support
    this.

    On Fri, 9 Sep 2005, Dave Shield wrote:
    > NetMechanica wrote:
    >
    > > The MIB walk dump that you have attached basically displays the dump of
    > > RFC1213 ip and at groups. RFC1213 has been designed to allow the user
    > > to monitor (read) and not to manage network element. So what I' trying
    > > to explain here is that all the objects under ip and at leafs are
    > > read-only.

    > Which is presumably why all three column objects in the atTable,
    > the first two leaf objects in the IP group, every single column
    > object in the ipNetToMediatTable, and all bar one column object
    > in the ipRouteTable are defined using
    >
    > ACCESS read-write
    >
    > ???
    > Where on *earth* did you get the idea that RFC1213 is effectively
    > read-only?
    >

    > As far as the ipAddrTable is concerned, you happen to be correct.
    > This table *is* read-only, and is designed to report the current
    > configuration (rather than manipulate it dynamically).
    >
    > So to answer Pilu's original question - changing the address of
    > local network interfaces isn't possible using SNMP.
    >
    > But it *is* perfectly possible to use SNMP to manipulate other
    > aspects of the network configuration, such as the routing tables,
    > or the ARP tables.
    >

    > Dave

    Regards,
    /david t. perkins

  5. Re: Changing ip address via SNMP?

    Dave Shield wrote:
    > NetMechanica wrote:
    >
    >> The MIB walk dump that you have attached basically displays the dump of
    >> RFC1213 ip and at groups. RFC1213 has been designed to allow the user
    >> to monitor (read) and not to manage network element. So what I' trying
    >> to explain here is that all the objects under ip and at leafs are
    >> read-only.

    > Which is presumably why all three column objects in the atTable,
    > the first two leaf objects in the IP group, every single column
    > object in the ipNetToMediatTable, and all bar one column object
    > in the ipRouteTable are defined using
    >
    > ACCESS read-write
    >
    > ???
    > Where on *earth* did you get the idea that RFC1213 is effectively
    > read-only?
    >

    > As far as the ipAddrTable is concerned, you happen to be correct.
    > This table *is* read-only, and is designed to report the current
    > configuration (rather than manipulate it dynamically).
    >
    > So to answer Pilu's original question - changing the address of
    > local network interfaces isn't possible using SNMP.

    While you are corret in pointing out that "NetMechanica" was not
    correct, I have to note that your last sentence is also incorrect.
    There are just no standard objects to configure interfaces, no
    more no less.

    /js

    --
    Juergen Schoenwaelder International University Bremen
    P.O. Box 750 561, 28725 Bremen, Germany

  6. Re: Changing ip address via SNMP?

    Hello

    I have a number of systems on the network connected to a server/workstation who operates all of them.
    When the client systems boot up they should use the work stations ip-address as an address where they can send their traps, [I cannot hard code this address anywhere since the IP address of the server changes on and off after reboot and the next time it reboots I dnt knw wht it'll be]

    Now how can I configure the client systems so that they send the traps to the trap manager present on the server.

    I was thinking of using snmpset and configuring it, can anyone tell me whts the exact command?

    Thanks
    Vik
    Of All The Things I Have Lost... I Miss My Mind The Most!

+ Reply to Thread