snmp v1/v2/v3? - SNMP

This is a discussion on snmp v1/v2/v3? - SNMP ; how can you find out what versions of the protocol does an agent supports?...

  1. snmp v1/v2/v3?

    how can you find out what versions of the protocol does an agent supports?

  2. Re: snmp v1/v2/v3?

    There are several options to do that:
    1. You can check SNMP agent configuration manually by analyzing config
    file etc.
    2. Refer to SNMP agent documentation
    3. Automatically

    I'm not going to talk about options 1 and 2. The automatic approach is
    based on some preliminary assumptions that you have to make in order to
    query agent:

    You need to specify read community string for SNMPv1, SNMPv2C. If you
    have no idea about community string you can just simply try something
    like public, private, etc. These are defaults.

    SNMPv3 is more complex due to User Security Model (USM). I would use
    noAuthNoPriv security level, so you don't have to specify
    authentication and privacy keys (passwords). Try to use "initial" as
    the username. The rest of parameters like context engine id, context
    name you can leave blank. This information is going to be retrieved
    automatically during initial request.

    Hope this helps,

    Sincerely,
    NetMechanica