agentx solutions under java - SNMP

This is a discussion on agentx solutions under java - SNMP ; Hi all. My company's seeking to make one of our products queriable via SNMPGET. I've been exploring various options to implement this, both in c++ and in java (We have components which operate in both environments). Our aim is to ...

  1. agentx solutions under java

    Hi all.

    My company's seeking to make one of our products queriable via SNMPGET.
    I've been exploring various options to implement this, both in c++ and
    in java (We have components which operate in both environments). Our
    aim is to extend monitoring capabilities using the agentx protocol.

    As far as C++, I'm familiar with NetSNMP, and I've talked a bit with
    Mr. Fock rgd. his implementation.

    As for java, I've so far failed to find an implementation of agentx.
    I've looked at jax. I believe jax doesn't support agentx to its fullest
    (specifically, JAX doesn't handle the sharing of conceptual MIB tables
    between subagents). I've also talked to Mr. Daniel Fuchs rgd Sun's
    JDMK, which I was told doesn't support agentx either.

    I'd appreciate any comments on the matter. Does anyone have any
    experience with full agentx APIs, free or propriatary?

    Thanks,
    Amit Dor-Shifer
    Comverse LTD.

  2. Re: agentx solutions under java

    Hi Amit,

    FYI, I am currently working on a Java API for AgentX based
    on SNMP4J-Agent (see http://www.snmp4j.org). An alpha
    release is should be available in June.

    Regards,
    Frank Fock

    dor_amit@hotmail.com wrote:

    >Hi all.
    >
    >My company's seeking to make one of our products queriable via SNMPGET.
    >I've been exploring various options to implement this, both in c++ and
    >in java (We have components which operate in both environments). Our
    >aim is to extend monitoring capabilities using the agentx protocol.
    >
    >As far as C++, I'm familiar with NetSNMP, and I've talked a bit with
    >Mr. Fock rgd. his implementation.
    >
    >As for java, I've so far failed to find an implementation of agentx.
    >I've looked at jax. I believe jax doesn't support agentx to its fullest
    >(specifically, JAX doesn't handle the sharing of conceptual MIB tables
    >between subagents). I've also talked to Mr. Daniel Fuchs rgd Sun's
    >JDMK, which I was told doesn't support agentx either.
    >
    >I'd appreciate any comments on the matter. Does anyone have any
    >experience with full agentx APIs, free or propriatary?
    >
    >Thanks,
    >Amit Dor-Shifer
    >Comverse LTD.

  3. Re: agentx solutions under java

    dor_amit@hotmail.com wrote:
    > Hi all.
    >
    > My company's seeking to make one of our products queriable via

    SNMPGET.
    > I've been exploring various options to implement this, both in c++

    and
    > in java (We have components which operate in both environments). Our
    > aim is to extend monitoring capabilities using the agentx protocol.
    >
    > As far as C++, I'm familiar with NetSNMP, and I've talked a bit with
    > Mr. Fock rgd. his implementation.
    >
    > As for java, I've so far failed to find an implementation of agentx.
    > I've looked at jax. I believe jax doesn't support agentx to its

    fullest
    > (specifically, JAX doesn't handle the sharing of conceptual MIB

    tables
    > between subagents). I've also talked to Mr. Daniel Fuchs rgd Sun's
    > JDMK, which I was told doesn't support agentx either.
    >
    > I'd appreciate any comments on the matter. Does anyone have any
    > experience with full agentx APIs, free or propriatary?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Amit Dor-Shifer
    > Comverse LTD.

    If this is for a Windows platform and not pinned to AgentX I would
    check out some C# components,
    i.e.:http://www.nsoftware.com/products/co...MPAgent&sku=ip

    I believe there are a few others, all depends on your needs though...
    -Ryan

  4. Re: agentx solutions under java

    Thank you Frank,
    A note on my part: I find useful to be able to configure agentx's port
    to be other than the default port of 705. When using NetSNMP here in
    comverse, I often rely on this ability to execute several
    master-agents, talking to different subagents via different ports. I
    believe both the existing agentx++ and the upcoming agentx++4j could
    benefit from having such a configuration capability.

    Sincerely,
    Amit Dor-Shifer

  5. Re: agentx solutions under java

    Amit,

    AgentX++ can use different ports than the standard 705 TCP port and
    it also can use UNIX domain sockets on UNIX systems.
    AgentX4J will support TCP in the first place - of course not restricted to
    a specific port ;-)

    Regards,
    Frank Fock

    dor_amit@hotmail.com wrote:

    >Thank you Frank,
    >A note on my part: I find useful to be able to configure agentx's port
    >to be other than the default port of 705. When using NetSNMP here in
    >comverse, I often rely on this ability to execute several
    >master-agents, talking to different subagents via different ports. I
    >believe both the existing agentx++ and the upcoming agentx++4j could
    >benefit from having such a configuration capability.
    >
    >Sincerely,
    >Amit Dor-Shifer

  6. Re: agentx solutions under java

    When you say agentx++ can use different ports: Can this be achieved
    without re-building the package? What I'm suggesting is the ability to
    configure the port via a configuration file (or maybe through
    commandline)

    Amit.

  7. Re: agentx solutions under java

    Yes, of course you can specify the port(s) at runtime.
    See the AgentX++ AgentX class and its subclasses AgentXSlave
    and AgentXMaster for details. For the master you set the TCP port
    through set_tcp_port(int) and for the slave through
    set_master_address(..).

    The reference documentation can be browsed at:
    http://www.agentpp.com/agentX++/doc/

    Frank

    dor_amit@hotmail.com wrote:

    >When you say agentx++ can use different ports: Can this be achieved
    >without re-building the package? What I'm suggesting is the ability to
    >configure the port via a configuration file (or maybe through
    >commandline)
    >
    >Amit.

+ Reply to Thread