WinSNMP: Agent address when translating trap from snmpv1 to snmpv2 - SNMP

This is a discussion on WinSNMP: Agent address when translating trap from snmpv1 to snmpv2 - SNMP ; Hi, When I capture an snmpv1 trap with WinSNMP, it is automatically translated to snmpv2, but then I'm unable to get the agent address. Is that correct? Is that information lost? Note that the IP address in the agent address ...

  1. WinSNMP: Agent address when translating trap from snmpv1 to snmpv2

    Hi,

    When I capture an snmpv1 trap with WinSNMP, it is automatically
    translated to snmpv2, but then I'm unable to get the agent address. Is
    that correct? Is that information lost?

    Note that the IP address in the agent address is different to the IP
    address of the computer that is actually sending the trap.

    The following link is one of the many links that explains how the
    mapping is done, but it doesn't mention anything about the agent
    address??
    http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infoce...nmupmst384.htm

    Many thanks,
    Bert

  2. Re: WinSNMP: Agent address when translating trap from snmpv1 to snmpv2

    bert.vandenberghe@skyline.be wrote:

    > When I capture an snmpv1 trap with WinSNMP, it is automatically
    > translated to snmpv2, but then I'm unable to get the agent address. Is
    > that correct? Is that information lost?
    >
    > Note that the IP address in the agent address is different to the IP
    > address of the computer that is actually sending the trap.

    What should happen is defined in RFC 3584 section 3.1 item (4) on
    page 12. Note that this procedure preserves the information content.
    Your implementation however might not be aware of this RFC, which
    is an update of RFC 2576 which appeared in March 2000 (so this
    procedure is 5 years old).

    /js

    --
    Juergen Schoenwaelder International University Bremen
    P.O. Box 750 561, 28725 Bremen, Germany

  3. Re: WinSNMP: Agent address when translating trap from snmpv1 to snmpv2

    So basically a proxy should add the agent address in an additional
    binding during the translation from snmpv1 to snmpv2. But is WinSNMP
    considered to be a proxy? It is in fact relaying the traps to my
    application... I will check this information to see if the address is
    in fact added.

    Thanks for the help,
    Bert

+ Reply to Thread