[newbie-HELP] SNMP and visualBasic Script - SNMP

This is a discussion on [newbie-HELP] SNMP and visualBasic Script - SNMP ; Hi to everyone I'm a (very)newbie in the snmp usage, and I have simple question : I'd like to write a VisualBasic script (.vbs) to check the cpu-usage and the free memory in my own winXP machine using the SNMP ...

  1. [newbie-HELP] SNMP and visualBasic Script

    Hi to everyone

    I'm a (very)newbie in the snmp usage, and I have simple question :

    I'd like to write a VisualBasic script (.vbs) to check the cpu-usage
    and the free memory in my own winXP machine using the SNMP protocol. In
    other words a script that simple shows "your cpu usage is x%, your
    free-memory is y"

    I'have installed the SNMP service, but now I am not able to write a
    working query! (and to set-up the service, if required..)

    Thanks for your help

    Regards
    Francesco

  2. Re: [newbie-HELP] SNMP and visualBasic Script

    i need a script too.

    "petz" ha scritto nel messaggio
    news:1115631583.746258.308700@o13g2000cwo.googlegr oups.com...
    > Hi to everyone
    >
    > I'm a (very)newbie in the snmp usage, and I have simple question :
    >
    > I'd like to write a VisualBasic script (.vbs) to check the cpu-usage
    > and the free memory in my own winXP machine using the SNMP protocol. In
    > other words a script that simple shows "your cpu usage is x%, your
    > free-memory is y"
    >
    > I'have installed the SNMP service, but now I am not able to write a
    > working query! (and to set-up the service, if required..)
    >
    > Thanks for your help
    >
    > Regards
    > Francesco

  3. Re: [newbie-HELP] SNMP and visualBasic Script

    I think that you can monitor cpu usage or other thing with a visualbasic
    script, but retrieving those information through SNMP his quite hard to do.
    There are some functions that will maybe help you. but it is not free:
    http://www.activexperts.com/activsocket/samples/

    "Roberto" a écrit dans le message de
    > i need a script too.
    >

    > "petz" ha scritto nel messaggio
    > news:1115631583.746258.308700@o13g2000cwo.googlegr oups.com...
    > > Hi to everyone
    > >
    > > I'm a (very)newbie in the snmp usage, and I have simple question :
    > >
    > > I'd like to write a VisualBasic script (.vbs) to check the cpu-usage
    > > and the free memory in my own winXP machine using the SNMP protocol. In
    > > other words a script that simple shows "your cpu usage is x%, your
    > > free-memory is y"
    > >
    > > I'have installed the SNMP service, but now I am not able to write a
    > > working query! (and to set-up the service, if required..)
    > >
    > > Thanks for your help
    > >
    > > Regards
    > > Francesco

  4. Re: SNMP and visualBasic Script

    >but it is not free
    Unfortunately you have reason...It's *very* expensive..

    So, if I can't use a simple script, there is a way to use the SNMP
    service with an exe file wrote in visual basic? (I have to use
    VisualBasic )

    I'think that I have to import some library (eg. snmpapi.dll) to
    interface with the snmp service..am I wrong?
    Do you have any suggest?

    Thanks for your help

    Regards
    Francesco

    :

    > > > I'd like to write a VisualBasic script (.vbs) to check the

    cpu-usage
    > > > and the free memory in my own winXP machine using the SNMP

    protocol. In
    > > > other words a script that simple shows "your cpu usage is x%,

    your
    > > > free-memory is y"
    > > >
    > > > I'have installed the SNMP service, but now I am not able to write

    > > > working query! (and to set-up the service, if required..)
    > > >
    > > > Thanks for your help
    > > >
    > > > Regards
    > > > Francesco

  5. Re: SNMP and visualBasic Script

    I've solved the problem using the demo version of activexperts.com
    socket,as Fred said, importing this library in a VB script
    ....however this can't be a definitive solution...
    petz ha scritto:
    > >but it is not free

    > Unfortunately you have reason...It's *very* expensive..
    >
    > So, if I can't use a simple script, there is a way to use the SNMP
    > service with an exe file wrote in visual basic? (I have to use
    > VisualBasic )
    >
    > I'think that I have to import some library (eg. snmpapi.dll) to
    > interface with the snmp service..am I wrong?
    > Do you have any suggest?
    >
    > Thanks for your help
    >
    > Regards
    > Francesco
    >

    > Fred ha scritto:
    > > I think that you can monitor cpu usage or other thing with a

    > visualbasic
    > > script, but retrieving those information through SNMP his quite

    hard
    > to do.
    > > There are some functions that will maybe help you. but it is not

    > free:
    > > http://www.activexperts.com/activsocket/samples/
    > >

    > > "Roberto" a écrit dans le message de
    > > > i need a script too.
    > > >

    > > > "petz" ha scritto nel messaggio
    > > > news:1115631583.746258.308700@o13g2000cwo.googlegr oups.com...

    question
    > :

    > cpu-usage

    > protocol. In

    > your

    write

  6. Re: SNMP and visualBasic Script

    The definitive solution you are looking for is WMI. SNMP is not the
    answer in your particular situation. Take a look at this and this will
    get you most of the way there. I would also download the WMI tools
    from microsoft and you can browse the objects that you can pull from
    vbscript.

    Here is the article:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...ng06112002.asp

    -Ryan

  7. Re: SNMP and visualBasic Script

    Ryan ha scritto:
    > The definitive solution you are looking for is WMI. SNMP is not the
    > answer in your particular situation. Take a look at this and this

    will
    > get you most of the way there. I would also download the WMI tools
    > from microsoft and you can browse the objects that you can pull from
    > vbscript.
    >
    > Here is the article:

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...ng06112002.asp

    > Let me know if you have any other questions.
    >
    > -Ryan

    Unfortunately I am obliged to use SNMP because it is part of an
    university task that I have to carry out.
    However thanks for your help! And thanks for having made me know WMI
    objects!
    (and forgive me for my *very poor* english)

  8. Re: SNMP and visualBasic Script

    SNMP is antiquated compared to WMI, however if you are forced because
    of a school project why dont you just download this tool:
    http://www.net-snmp.org/

    and use snmpget to get the oid values that you want and parse them
    using vbscript... Simple, effective.

    -Ryan

    petz wrote:
    > Ryan ha scritto:
    > > The definitive solution you are looking for is WMI. SNMP is not

    the
    > > answer in your particular situation. Take a look at this and this

    > will
    > > get you most of the way there. I would also download the WMI tools
    > > from microsoft and you can browse the objects that you can pull

    from
    > > vbscript.
    > >
    > > Here is the article:

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...ng06112002.asp

    > > Let me know if you have any other questions.
    > >
    > > -Ryan

    > Unfortunately I am obliged to use SNMP because it is part of an
    > university task that I have to carry out.
    > However thanks for your help! And thanks for having made me know WMI
    > objects!
    > (and forgive me for my *very poor* english)

+ Reply to Thread