snmp topology - SNMP

This is a discussion on snmp topology - SNMP ; Hello, We want to develop a network topology module in order to show graphic representation of routing at customers sites. Could you guys point us which technology should we use (i.e. snmp IP-FORWARD-MIB, dns, icmp,wmi ...) to succeed with this ...

  1. snmp topology

    Hello,

    We want to develop a network topology module in order to show graphic
    representation of routing at customers sites. Could you guys point us
    which technology should we use (i.e. snmp IP-FORWARD-MIB, dns, icmp,wmi
    ...) to succeed with this application. Any suggestions welcome

    thx,
    Mark

  2. Re: snmp topology

    Hey Mark,

    I use MIB-2 system, ifEntry, ipNetToMedia, and the various Router
    protocol extensions like the OSPF MIB and the BGP-4 MIB.

    I try to stay away from using ipRouteEntry as it was designed to show
    the route of a single network... If you walk it or Bulk it, it could
    have an effect on the end device.... In Cisco devices, it appears as
    though the Agent stub for this loads this table into a cache of sorts
    which is then sequentially read. You can see its effect in memory
    utilization and CPU usage.

    Some of the gotchas that may seem confusing with Topology:

    MPLS circuits. Yes, they are "imposed" over routed topology.
    GRE Tunnels.
    Physical circuits versus PVC mapping. PVCs go end to end while a
    physical circuit may only go to the LEC on each end!
    VPNs.

    I do L2 as well... AtTable and Fdb from the Bridge MIB.

    My initial beginnings are at http://www.phaults.com (I have GOT to get
    my new stuff out there!!!)

    Dougie!

+ Reply to Thread