Physical Memory in hrStorage on Windows 2000 Agent - SNMP

This is a discussion on Physical Memory in hrStorage on Windows 2000 Agent - SNMP ; It appears that the Windows 2000 SNMP Agent does not create an entry in the hrStorage table for Phyiscal RAM. (It is there in the 2003 Agent). Everything else (Virtual Memory, disk, etc.) is there, just Physical RAM is missing. ...

  1. Physical Memory in hrStorage on Windows 2000 Agent

    It appears that the Windows 2000 SNMP Agent does not create an entry
    in the hrStorage table for Phyiscal RAM. (It is there in the 2003
    Agent).
    Everything else (Virtual Memory, disk, etc.) is there, just Physical
    RAM
    is missing.

    Has MS released any kind of patch to resolve this? It is still an
    issue
    in SP4. If not, any suggestions on what to do next?

    Thanks,

    Kevin

  2. Re: Physical Memory in hrStorage on Windows 2000 Agent

    In article news:1114182929.683604.128540@o13g2000cwo.googlegr oups.com,
    kccnospam@glenevin.com wrote:
    > It appears that the Windows 2000 SNMP Agent does not create an entry
    > in the hrStorage table for Phyiscal RAM. (It is there in the 2003
    > Agent).
    > Everything else (Virtual Memory, disk, etc.) is there, just Physical
    > RAM is missing.

    Isn't that the scalar object host.hrStorage.hrMemorySize.

    On XP for instance:
    C:\>snmputil.exe walk 127.0.0.1 pulic host.hrStorage.hrMemorySize
    Variable = host.hrStorage.hrMemorySize.0
    Value = Integer32 506600

    End of MIB subtree.

    C:\>
    and this is from a log from a Windows 2000 box:
    Variable = host.hrStorage.hrMemorySize.0
    Value = Integer32 130548

    Someone more knowledgable may wish to comment, but I'm presuming that
    there being no such entry in the table is covered by the sentence in
    hrStorageTable's description:
    These entries are associated with logical storage
    areas, as might be seen by an application, rather than
    physical storage entities which are typically seen by
    an operating system. [...]

    > Has MS released any kind of patch to resolve this? It is still an
    > issue in SP4. If not, any suggestions on what to do next?

    KB811436 http://support.microsoft.com/Default.aspx?kbid=811436 implies
    that it existed prior to SP4 and was fixed to support values above 2GB
    in SP4.
    --
    Alan J. McFarlane
    http://www.alanjmcf.me.uk/

  3. Re: Physical Memory in hrStorage on Windows 2000 Agent

    I understand what you're saying about the hrStorageTable description
    and hrMemorySize does indeed hold the information, but there are two
    mitigating factors:

    1) Microsoft DOES include an entry for Phyiscal RAM in hrStorageTable
    in Win2003
    2) The hrStorageTable also includes utilization information which is
    useful.

    I'm not too keen on the idea of walking the process list and adding up
    chunks of memory
    to find out how much RAM is available.

    Thanks,

    Kevin