Varbinds in Response-PDU with error - SNMP

This is a discussion on Varbinds in Response-PDU with error - SNMP ; Hi, as far as I remember the response PDU contains, for instance, to a GET-request, the original varbinds contained in the GET-request PDU if the error status is different than noError. If this is correct, is this a should or ...

  1. Varbinds in Response-PDU with error

    Hi,

    as far as I remember the response PDU contains, for instance, to a
    GET-request, the original varbinds contained in the GET-request PDU if
    the error status is different than noError.
    If this is correct, is this a should or a shall requirement and in which
    RFC it is specified? I thought it would be RFC3416, but I coulnd't found
    a related statement.

    Regards,
    Marcus

  2. Re: Varbinds in Response-PDU with error

    Marcus Fehde wrote:

    > as far as I remember the response PDU contains, for instance, to a
    > GET-request, the original varbinds contained in the GET-request PDU if
    > the error status is different than noError.

    Close.
    According to RFC 3416, the only possible error-status values in response
    to a GetRequest are "noError", "genError" or "tooBig". For a "genError"
    response, the varbind list is the same as the original request.
    For a "tooBig" response, the varbind list should be empty.

    > in which
    > RFC it is specified? I thought it would be RFC3416, but I coulnd't found
    > a related statement.

    See section 4.2.1
    In particular, the paragraph immediately following the numbered list,
    and the last paragraph of that section.

    The equivalent part of RFC1157 is section 4.1.2, which retains the original
    varbind list for "tooBig" errors as well.

    Dave

+ Reply to Thread