newbie: snmp counters for tcp protocols like http? - SNMP

This is a discussion on newbie: snmp counters for tcp protocols like http? - SNMP ; Hi: I'm a new to SNMP and I'm having trouble figuring this out. I'm wanting to analyze % of total ip traffic that certain protocols are using: smtp 25, http 80, etc. I figured there were certain SNMP counters I ...

  1. newbie: snmp counters for tcp protocols like http?

    Hi:
    I'm a new to SNMP and I'm having trouble figuring this out.

    I'm wanting to analyze % of total ip traffic that certain protocols are
    using: smtp 25, http 80, etc. I figured there were certain SNMP counters I
    could look at to determine this information. I can find total IP traffic in
    and out, but not for individual protocols. I've been researching the RFC
    1213, RFC1156 and other's for OID's that would allow me to get this info but
    can't find anything.

    I've also loaded up all the CISCO MIB's for my router 1602 with IOS 11.2 I
    also can't find anything in there.

    This version of IOS does not support netflows on the 1602. Are netflows the
    only way to break down the ip traffic and analyze it further?

    The closest I've found is the tcpConnTable, but I can never get any
    information returned from an SNMP query and it doesn't seem like it would
    work from the description anyways. The only TCP counters don't give any
    detail on protocols such as smtp, http, etc.

    Thanx for any help.
    Matthew Jackson

  2. Re: newbie: snmp counters for tcp protocols like http?

    Matthew Jackson wrote:
    > I'm wanting to analyze % of total ip traffic that certain
    > protocols are using: smtp 25, http 80, etc. I figured there
    > were certain SNMP counters I could look at to determine this
    > information. I can find total IP traffic in and out, but not
    > for individual protocols. I've been researching the RFC 1213,
    > RFC1156 and other's for OID's that would allow me to get this
    > info but can't find anything.

    Maybe what you want be provided by the RMON2-MIB. Look at
    http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc2021.txt (or at
    http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/...mon2-v2-02.txt,
    which is the soon-to-be-published update).

    nobody

  3. Re: newbie: snmp counters for tcp protocols like http?

    Thanx. That does seem to be the answer.
    RMON2 would be the real answer but I think it may only support RMON.

    Mmatt
    "nobody" wrote in message
    > Matthew Jackson wrote:
    >> I'm wanting to analyze % of total ip traffic that certain
    >> protocols are using: smtp 25, http 80, etc. I figured there
    >> were certain SNMP counters I could look at to determine this
    >> information. I can find total IP traffic in and out, but not
    >> for individual protocols. I've been researching the RFC 1213,
    >> RFC1156 and other's for OID's that would allow me to get this
    >> info but can't find anything.

    > Maybe what you want be provided by the RMON2-MIB. Look at
    > http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc2021.txt (or at
    > http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/...mon2-v2-02.txt,
    > which is the soon-to-be-published update).
    >
    > nobody

+ Reply to Thread