MIB for per-VLAN IGMP data - SNMP

This is a discussion on MIB for per-VLAN IGMP data - SNMP ; RFC 2933 describes a MIB for IGMP but the indices are all InterfaceIndex values which doesn't seem to cover IGPM over VLANs. Is port 1 on VLAN 234 a different interface than port 1 on VLAN 456? How do I ...

  1. MIB for per-VLAN IGMP data

    RFC 2933 describes a MIB for IGMP but the indices are all
    InterfaceIndex values which doesn't seem to cover IGPM over VLANs. Is
    port 1 on VLAN 234 a different interface than port 1 on VLAN 456? How
    do I organize data for this scenario? The word "conceptual" is thrown
    in there a couple of times. Does that let me loosely interpret
    "interface" as "port on a VLAN"? But that leaves no way for someone
    walking the igmpInterfaceTable to know the port number or VLAN for a
    row of the table. Or am I missing something?

  2. Re: MIB for per-VLAN IGMP data

    Christopher Nelson wrote:

    > RFC 2933 describes a MIB for IGMP but the indices are all
    > InterfaceIndex values which doesn't seem to cover IGPM over VLANs. Is
    > port 1 on VLAN 234 a different interface than port 1 on VLAN 456? How
    > do I organize data for this scenario? The word "conceptual" is thrown
    > in there a couple of times. Does that let me loosely interpret
    > "interface" as "port on a VLAN"? But that leaves no way for someone
    > walking the igmpInterfaceTable to know the port number or VLAN for a
    > row of the table. Or am I missing something?

    You may want to look at RFC 2863 which defines what an interface is.
    In particular, RFC 2863 introduces the notion of an interface stack.
    One option is to layer VLAN specific interfaces on top of the interface
    that represents a LAN port.

    /js

    --
    Juergen Schoenwaelder International University Bremen
    P.O. Box 750 561, 28725 Bremen, Germany

+ Reply to Thread