What is the best Java package for SNMP ? - SNMP

This is a discussion on What is the best Java package for SNMP ? - SNMP ; Hi, It is certainly hard to respond to my question, because a lot of people will tell this one is the best, and others will say another one. I am actually looking for a good, free and easy to use ...

  1. What is the best Java package for SNMP ?

    Hi,

    It is certainly hard to respond to my question, because a lot of people
    will tell this one is the best, and others will say another one. I am
    actually looking for a good, free and easy to use SNMP package for Java;
    I also need support for SNMPv1/v2c/v3. I found quite a lot on http://www.
    snmplink.org/Tools.html , but as I am new to SNMP, I do not know what is
    the more suitable. So I hope on your experience to explain me why this
    package is good . By the moment, I will start with SNMP4j ... A bit
    more code examples for this package would be appreciated; I just found a
    little example at http://www.snmp4j.org/doc/org/snmp4j/Snmp.html .

    Thanks a lot for your answers.

    Seeu

    Christoph

  2. Re: What is the best Java package for SNMP ?

    Hi Christoph,

    You can find another example for SNMP4J usage in the
    org.snmp4j.tools.console.SnmpRequest class.
    What other examples would you like to see?
    What features do you expect from a "best suitable" SNMP
    for Java API?

    Best regards,
    Frank

    Christoph Ehret wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >It is certainly hard to respond to my question, because a lot of people
    >will tell this one is the best, and others will say another one. I am
    >actually looking for a good, free and easy to use SNMP package for Java;
    >I also need support for SNMPv1/v2c/v3. I found quite a lot on http://www.
    >snmplink.org/Tools.html , but as I am new to SNMP, I do not know what is
    >the more suitable. So I hope on your experience to explain me why this
    >package is good . By the moment, I will start with SNMP4j ... A bit
    >more code examples for this package would be appreciated; I just found a
    >little example at http://www.snmp4j.org/doc/org/snmp4j/Snmp.html .
    >
    >Thanks a lot for your answers.
    >
    >Seeu
    >
    >Christoph

  3. Re: What is the best Java package for SNMP ?

    Hi Frank,

    > Hi Christoph,
    >
    > You can find another example for SNMP4J usage in the
    > org.snmp4j.tools.console.SnmpRequest class.

    Thanks for the link.

    > What other examples would you like to see?

    Perhaps some more really basic example using get and set for v2c/v3 ,
    and perhaps one rather complicate example. But certainly, with javadoc,
    I will find my way. If I have some questions, it is good to know that if
    I post here, I will have answers from an expert .

    > What features do you expect from a "best suitable" SNMP
    > for Java API?

    Sorry, "suitable" was certainly not the good word. With easy to use, I
    meant something that is really near of the snmpget command, i.e with
    just IP_remote, version and community (if requested), OID , and another
    constructor if you need more options to specify.

    What I could read so far, I think your package is actually exactly what
    I am looking for my project.

    Thanks for your answers.

    Sincerly,
    Christoph

  4. Re: What is the best Java package for SNMP ?

    Hi,

    AdventNet offers a very best Java SNMP API which well suits your
    requirements like good, FREE, easy, SNMPv1/v2c/v3 support. The
    download size is also very small(Just 3MB).

    The link is http://snmp.adventnet.com/

    It also provides a vast list of example applications to help you learn
    the API quickly.

    Christoph Ehret wrote in message news:<20041112234331092+0100@news.bluewin.ch>...
    > Hi,
    >
    > It is certainly hard to respond to my question, because a lot of people
    > will tell this one is the best, and others will say another one. I am
    > actually looking for a good, free and easy to use SNMP package for Java;
    > I also need support for SNMPv1/v2c/v3. I found quite a lot on http://www.
    > snmplink.org/Tools.html , but as I am new to SNMP, I do not know what is
    > the more suitable. So I hope on your experience to explain me why this
    > package is good . By the moment, I will start with SNMP4j ... A bit
    > more code examples for this package would be appreciated; I just found a
    > little example at http://www.snmp4j.org/doc/org/snmp4j/Snmp.html .
    >
    > Thanks a lot for your answers.
    >
    > Seeu
    >
    > Christoph