where to begin? - SNMP

This is a discussion on where to begin? - SNMP ; Hello people, We're currently working on a project where we have to implement a Network Monitoirng/Management system. I've been searching on the internet for information. There is soooo much software on the market, I don't know where to look first. ...

  1. where to begin?

    Hello people,
    We're currently working on a project where we have to implement a Network
    Monitoirng/Management system. I've been searching on the internet for
    information. There is soooo much software on the market, I don't know where
    to look first. I can't check m all.
    Does anyone recommend any software?
    We have about 100 switches to monitor. These are the primary targets. And
    there are about 90 server (Novell, Windows, Linux). We want to monitor these
    in the future using the same software.
    Any help would be appreciated.

    Thanks you,
    Ferid

  2. Re: where to begin?

    Hi
    Take a look at the WhatsUp from Ipswitch Software. Its a cool and easy to
    use software. Allso it scans the network for you and draws a map.

    --
    Ole Morten Heien
    HD Software

    "Ferid Bilgic" skrev i melding
    > Hello people,
    > We're currently working on a project where we have to implement a Network
    > Monitoirng/Management system. I've been searching on the internet for
    > information. There is soooo much software on the market, I don't know

    where
    > to look first. I can't check m all.
    > Does anyone recommend any software?
    > We have about 100 switches to monitor. These are the primary targets. And
    > there are about 90 server (Novell, Windows, Linux). We want to monitor

    these
    > in the future using the same software.
    > Any help would be appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks you,
    > Ferid

  3. Re: where to begin?

    Thak a look a ServersAlive from Woodstone software.
    www.woodstone.nu/salive

    Great program with outstanding support. Will check services that are
    running on servers. Great snmp checking and a little price...

    "Ferid Bilgic" wrote:

    >Hello people,
    >We're currently working on a project where we have to implement a Network
    >Monitoirng/Management system. I've been searching on the internet for
    >information. There is soooo much software on the market, I don't know where
    >to look first. I can't check m all.
    >Does anyone recommend any software?
    >We have about 100 switches to monitor. These are the primary targets. And
    >there are about 90 server (Novell, Windows, Linux). We want to monitor these
    >in the future using the same software.
    >Any help would be appreciated.
    >
    >Thanks you,
    >Ferid

  4. Re: where to begin?

    Thnx guys, I'll have a look.

    Ferid

    "Ferid Bilgic" wrote in message
    > Hello people,
    > We're currently working on a project where we have to implement a Network
    > Monitoirng/Management system. I've been searching on the internet for
    > information. There is soooo much software on the market, I don't know

    where
    > to look first. I can't check m all.
    > Does anyone recommend any software?
    > We have about 100 switches to monitor. These are the primary targets. And
    > there are about 90 server (Novell, Windows, Linux). We want to monitor

    these
    > in the future using the same software.
    > Any help would be appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks you,
    > Ferid

  5. Re: where to begin?

    "Ferid Bilgic" wrote in message:
    > We're currently working on a project where we have to implement a Network
    > Monitoirng/Management system. I've been searching on the internet for
    > information. There is soooo much software on the market, I don't know

    where
    > to look first. I can't check m all.
    > Does anyone recommend any software?
    > We have about 100 switches to monitor. These are the primary targets. And
    > there are about 90 server (Novell, Windows, Linux). We want to monitor

    these
    > in the future using the same software.
    > Any help would be appreciated.

    You schould also check Adrem NetCrunch. Here you have some review
    http://www.nwfusion.com/newsletters/...4/0607nw2.html.

  6. Re: where to begin?

    Hi,

    Have a look at AdventNet's products in the below link which has a wide range of
    Network Monitoirng/Management system products.

    http://www.adventnet.com/

    "mike" wrote in message news:...
    > "Ferid Bilgic" wrote in message:
    > > We're currently working on a project where we have to implement a Network
    > > Monitoirng/Management system. I've been searching on the internet for
    > > information. There is soooo much software on the market, I don't know

    > where
    > > to look first. I can't check m all.
    > > Does anyone recommend any software?
    > > We have about 100 switches to monitor. These are the primary targets. And
    > > there are about 90 server (Novell, Windows, Linux). We want to monitor

    > these
    > > in the future using the same software.
    > > Any help would be appreciated.

    > You schould also check Adrem NetCrunch. Here you have some review
    > http://www.nwfusion.com/newsletters/...4/0607nw2.html.

  7. Re: where to begin?

    Ferid Bilgic wrote:

    > We're currently working on a project where we have to implement a Network
    > Monitoirng/Management system. I've been searching on the internet for
    > information. There is soooo much software on the market, I don't know where
    > to look first. I can't check m all.
    > Does anyone recommend any software?
    > We have about 100 switches to monitor. These are the primary targets. And
    > there are about 90 server (Novell, Windows, Linux). We want to monitor these
    > in the future using the same software.
    > Any help would be appreciated.

    Before you look at software, I suggest to think about _why_ you monitor
    the boxes. There are great differences between generating status maps,
    long term statistics over multiple years (which the network changes),
    producing useful alarms, ... Once you really know what you are looking
    for, the number of products which satisfy your requirements is likely
    to become manageable.

    /js

    --
    Juergen Schoenwaelder International University Bremen
    P.O. Box 750 561, 28725 Bremen, Germany

+ Reply to Thread