SNMPv3 Agent for Windows XP - SNMP

This is a discussion on SNMPv3 Agent for Windows XP - SNMP ; I need a SNMPv3 Agent for Windows XP (commercial or freeware). But there is one important thing that the agent must support. It should be possible to store the USM in a database, and not in a config file on ...

  1. SNMPv3 Agent for Windows XP

    I need a SNMPv3 Agent for Windows XP (commercial or freeware). But
    there is one important thing that the agent must support. It should be
    possible to store the USM in a database, and not in a config file on
    the local client.
    Thanks!

  2. Re: SNMPv3 Agent for Windows XP

    Stephan wrote:

    >I need a SNMPv3 Agent for Windows XP (commercial or freeware). But
    >there is one important thing that the agent must support. It should be
    >possible to store the USM in a database, and not in a config file on
    >the local client.
    >Thanks!

    You may have a look at AgentX++Win32Master agent which can be
    downloaded from http://www.agentpp.com (free for non-commercial use).
    Its available as C++ (VC++.NET) source, so it should be fairly simple to
    add the necessary functionality to store USM information in a database
    of your choice.
    May I ask why you want to store the USM information in a database?
    If the database is on a remote system or is accessed remotely, you will
    have to secure the DB connection...

    Regards,
    Frank Fock

  3. Re: SNMPv3 Agent for Windows XP

    HI,

    I don't see the difference between a "config file" and a "database".

    What are you looking for?

    Is the registry a "database" or "config file"?

    On 24 Feb 2004, Stephan wrote:

    > I need a SNMPv3 Agent for Windows XP (commercial or freeware). But
    > there is one important thing that the agent must support. It should be
    > possible to store the USM in a database, and not in a config file on
    > the local client.
    > Thanks!

    Regards,
    /david t. perkins

  4. Re: SNMPv3 Agent for Windows XP

    Dear Stephan,

    The SNMP v3 USM information can be modelled naturally as a database
    table . I would recommend you to try out the "AdventNet SNMP API 4"
    which offers complete database support for USM / VACM .Also since it
    is totally in Java it can be used in any platform (Linux , Solaris ,
    Windows ..). The free evaluation copy can be downloaded from,

    http://snmp.adventnet.com/

    PS:
    As you might be aware of , the primary purpose of storing the USM
    information in database is *scalability* , i.e. as the number of
    users increase, storing the information in in-memory / files will not
    be efficient in terms of fast data access /modification . The
    databases like Oracle & Mysql are primarily designed to store and
    access data with maximum efficiency.

    Regards,
    Venkatesh

    s.moeck@gmx.de (Stephan) wrote in message news:<3a11386d.0402240054.2f40503f@posting.google.com>...
    > I need a SNMPv3 Agent for Windows XP (commercial or freeware). But
    > there is one important thing that the agent must support. It should be
    > possible to store the USM in a database, and not in a config file on
    > the local client.
    > Thanks!

  5. Re: SNMPv3 Agent for Windows XP (Mistake Correction)

    Dear Stephan,

    Sorry , there is a mistake correction. I had mentioned the product as
    "AdventNet SNMP API 4" . The correct name is "AdventNet Agent
    ToolKit" which is available in both Java / C-Editions at,

    http://adventnet.com/products/

    Regards,
    Venkatesh

    >>Venkat wrote :

    Dear Stephan,

    The USM information can be modelled naturally as a database table . I
    would recommend you to try out the "AdventNet SNMP API 4" which offers
    database support for USM / VACM (with complete user configuration
    support).Also since it is totally written in Java it can be run in any
    platform (Linux , Solaris , Windows ..). The free evaluation copy can
    be downloaded from,

    http://snmp.adventnet.com/

    PS:
    As you might be aware of , the primary purpose of storing the USM
    information in database is *scalability* , i.e. as the number of
    users increase, storing the information in in-memory / files will not
    be efficient in terms of fast data access /modification . The
    databases like Oracle & Mysql are primarily designed to store and
    access data with maximum efficiency.

    Regards,
    Venkatesh

    s.moeck@gmx.de (Stephan) wrote in message news:<3a11386d.0402240054.2f40503f@posting.google.com>...
    > I need a SNMPv3 Agent for Windows XP (commercial or freeware). But
    > there is one important thing that the agent must support. It should be
    > possible to store the USM in a database, and not in a config file on
    > the local client.
    > Thanks!

  6. Re: SNMPv3 Agent for Windows XP

    Frank Fock wrote in message news:...
    > Stephan wrote:
    >
    > >I need a SNMPv3 Agent for Windows XP (commercial or freeware). But
    > >there is one important thing that the agent must support. It should be
    > >possible to store the USM in a database, and not in a config file on
    > >the local client.
    > >Thanks!
    > >

    > You may have a look at AgentX++Win32Master agent which can be
    > downloaded from http://www.agentpp.com (free for non-commercial use).
    > Its available as C++ (VC++.NET) source, so it should be fairly simple to
    > add the necessary functionality to store USM information in a database
    > of your choice.
    > May I ask why you want to store the USM information in a database?
    > If the database is on a remote system or is accessed remotely, you will
    > have to secure the DB connection...
    >
    > Regards,
    > Frank Fock

    I need to run a few hundreds of SNMPv3 Agents. So if I store the USM
    and VACM on every client separately, I have to distribute hundreds of
    config files, if there is a change in these models. For example,
    someone needs a particular information form the clients. So I create a
    new view for this person, because I don't want to give access to all
    information. That means, I have to distribute a few hundred config
    files in the network. If I store this information in a remote
    database, I only need to add there the new view. The same problem
    occurs with the SNMP users. I don't want that numerous users are
    working with the same SNMPv3 username. Any changes here (new user,
    deletion of a user) must be distributed to all agents.
    Is there a solution without a database?

  7. Re: SNMPv3 Agent for Windows XP

    Frank Fock wrote in message news:...
    > Stephan wrote:
    >
    > >I need a SNMPv3 Agent for Windows XP (commercial or freeware). But
    > >there is one important thing that the agent must support. It should be
    > >possible to store the USM in a database, and not in a config file on
    > >the local client.
    > >Thanks!
    > >

    > You may have a look at AgentX++Win32Master agent which can be
    > downloaded from http://www.agentpp.com (free for non-commercial use).
    > Its available as C++ (VC++.NET) source, so it should be fairly simple to
    > add the necessary functionality to store USM information in a database
    > of your choice.
    > May I ask why you want to store the USM information in a database?
    > If the database is on a remote system or is accessed remotely, you will
    > have to secure the DB connection...
    >
    > Regards,
    > Frank Fock

    I need to run a few hundreds of SNMPv3 Agents. So if I store the USM
    and VACM on every client separately, I have to distribute hundreds of
    config files, if there is a change in these models. For example,
    someone needs a particular information form the clients. So I create a
    new view for this person, because I don't want to give access to all
    information. That means, I have to distribute a few hundred config
    files in the network. If I store this information in a remote
    database, I only need to add there the new view. The same problem
    occurs with the SNMP users. I don't want that numerous users are
    working with the same SNMPv3 username. Any changes here (new user,
    deletion of a user) must be distributed to all agents.
    Is there a solution without a database?

  8. Re: SNMPv3 Agent for Windows XP

    Frank Fock wrote in message news:...
    > Stephan wrote:
    >
    > >I need a SNMPv3 Agent for Windows XP (commercial or freeware). But
    > >there is one important thing that the agent must support. It should be
    > >possible to store the USM in a database, and not in a config file on
    > >the local client.
    > >Thanks!
    > >

    > You may have a look at AgentX++Win32Master agent which can be
    > downloaded from http://www.agentpp.com (free for non-commercial use).
    > Its available as C++ (VC++.NET) source, so it should be fairly simple to
    > add the necessary functionality to store USM information in a database
    > of your choice.
    > May I ask why you want to store the USM information in a database?
    > If the database is on a remote system or is accessed remotely, you will
    > have to secure the DB connection...
    >
    > Regards,
    > Frank Fock

    I need to run a few hundreds of SNMPv3 Agents. So if I store the USM
    and VACM on every client separately, I have to distribute hundreds of
    config files, if there is a change in these models. For example,
    someone needs a particular information form the clients. So I create a
    new view for this person, because I don't want to give access to all
    information. That means, I have to distribute a few hundred config
    files in the network. If I store this information in a remote
    database, I only need to add there the new view. The same problem
    occurs with the SNMP users. I don't want that numerous users are
    working with the same SNMPv3 username. Any changes here (new user,
    deletion of a user) must be distributed to all agents.
    Is there a solution without a database?

  9. Re: SNMPv3 Agent for Windows XP

    Frank Fock wrote in message news:...
    > Stephan wrote:
    >
    > >I need a SNMPv3 Agent for Windows XP (commercial or freeware). But
    > >there is one important thing that the agent must support. It should be
    > >possible to store the USM in a database, and not in a config file on
    > >the local client.
    > >Thanks!
    > >

    > You may have a look at AgentX++Win32Master agent which can be
    > downloaded from http://www.agentpp.com (free for non-commercial use).
    > Its available as C++ (VC++.NET) source, so it should be fairly simple to
    > add the necessary functionality to store USM information in a database
    > of your choice.
    > May I ask why you want to store the USM information in a database?
    > If the database is on a remote system or is accessed remotely, you will
    > have to secure the DB connection...
    >
    > Regards,
    > Frank Fock

    I need to run a few hundreds of SNMPv3 Agents. So if I store the USM
    and VACM on every client separately, I have to distribute hundreds of
    config files, if there is a change in these models. For example,
    someone needs a particular information form the clients. So I create a
    new view for this person, because I don't want to give access to all
    information. That means, I have to distribute a few hundred config
    files in the network. If I store this information in a remote
    database, I only need to add there the new view. The same problem
    occurs with the SNMP users. I don't want that numerous users are
    working with the same SNMPv3 username. Any changes here (new user,
    deletion of a user) must be distributed to all agents.
    Is there a solution without a database?

  10. Re: SNMPv3 Agent for Windows XP

    Frank Fock wrote in message news:...
    > Stephan wrote:
    >
    > >I need a SNMPv3 Agent for Windows XP (commercial or freeware). But
    > >there is one important thing that the agent must support. It should be
    > >possible to store the USM in a database, and not in a config file on
    > >the local client.
    > >Thanks!
    > >

    > You may have a look at AgentX++Win32Master agent which can be
    > downloaded from http://www.agentpp.com (free for non-commercial use).
    > Its available as C++ (VC++.NET) source, so it should be fairly simple to
    > add the necessary functionality to store USM information in a database
    > of your choice.
    > May I ask why you want to store the USM information in a database?
    > If the database is on a remote system or is accessed remotely, you will
    > have to secure the DB connection...
    >
    > Regards,
    > Frank Fock

    I need to run a few hundreds of SNMPv3 Agents. So if I store the USM
    and VACM on every client separately, I have to distribute hundreds of
    config files, if there is a change in these models. For example,
    someone needs a particular information form the clients. So I create a
    new view for this person, because I don't want to give access to all
    information. That means, I have to distribute a few hundred config
    files in the network. If I store this information in a remote
    database, I only need to add there the new view. The same problem
    occurs with the SNMP users. I don't want that numerous users are
    working with the same SNMPv3 username. Any changes here (new user,
    deletion of a user) must be distributed to all agents.
    Is there a solution without a database?

  11. Re: SNMPv3 Agent for Windows XP

    Stephan wrote:

    >Frank Fock wrote in message news:...
    >

    >>Stephan wrote:
    >>

    >>>I need a SNMPv3 Agent for Windows XP (commercial or freeware). But
    >>>there is one important thing that the agent must support. It should be
    >>>possible to store the USM in a database, and not in a config file on
    >>>the local client.
    >>>Thanks!
    >>>

    >>You may have a look at AgentX++Win32Master agent which can be
    >>downloaded from http://www.agentpp.com (free for non-commercial use).
    >>Its available as C++ (VC++.NET) source, so it should be fairly simple to
    >>add the necessary functionality to store USM information in a database
    >>of your choice.
    >>May I ask why you want to store the USM information in a database?
    >>If the database is on a remote system or is accessed remotely, you will
    >>have to secure the DB connection...
    >>
    >>Regards,
    >>Frank Fock
    >>

    >I need to run a few hundreds of SNMPv3 Agents. So if I store the USM
    >and VACM on every client separately, I have to distribute hundreds of
    >config files, if there is a change in these models. For example,
    >someone needs a particular information form the clients. So I create a
    >new view for this person, because I don't want to give access to all
    >information. That means, I have to distribute a few hundred config
    >files in the network. If I store this information in a remote
    >database, I only need to add there the new view. The same problem
    >occurs with the SNMP users. I don't want that numerous users are
    >working with the same SNMPv3 username. Any changes here (new user,
    >deletion of a user) must be distributed to all agents.
    >Is there a solution without a database?

    You do not need to distribute config files! You can add, update, and remove
    USM users using SNMPv3 and the SNMP-USER-BASED-SM-MIB.
    It is sufficient to have a few initial users for any newly deployed
    agent. Then you
    will have to change those users and/or create new derivates from the
    initial ones
    via SNMPv3.

    Management systems with SNMPv3 support should be able to manage USM users.
    MIB Explorer (http://www.mibexplorer.com), for example, can be used to
    create,
    modify, and delete USM users on several hundreds and more agents with a few
    clicks.

    I would not recommend using a central database to accomplish the task of
    doing user management without distribution of config files. Doing it
    with SNMPv3
    itself is much cleaner and safer. What would happen if you have a
    network problem
    of a problem with your database? All SNMP agents would be unaccessible and
    probably more worse, also the agent that instruments the database might
    then be
    unaccessible. It would be then very hard to isolate the root cause of
    the problem.

    Another issue would be security: As the agents need to know the
    user/password for
    the database, this information would have to reside inside the agent (or
    in a config file, etc.).
    In the case that one of the agents gets hacked, all others are
    compromised too, because
    the user credentials for the database would allow the attacker to get
    the USM users
    for all the other systems as well (This is independend from whether you
    are storing
    localized keys in the database or not).

    To prevent such an attack that uses a single weak system to compromise
    all the others,
    SNMPv3 has the mechanism of localized keys. This mechanism should not be
    made
    ad absurdum by using a central database for USM information of SNMPv3
    agents.

    Regards,
    Frank Fock

  12. Re: SNMPv3 Agent for Windows XP

    Venkatesh,

    Does the AdventNet Agent Toolkit C Edition support the Windows
    Extensible agent
    API?

    Why should one need to store USM information for an agent in a database for
    scalability? Because of several reason (performance, complexity, etc.) I
    would
    not recommend anyone using more than 100 USM users in an agent. In almost
    most cases, 20 should be more than enough. For such a number of users,
    using
    a relational database is IMHO overkill. These users can be hold in
    memory, which
    should be as fast as possible.

    Regards,
    Frank Fock

    venkat wrote:

    >Dear Stephan,
    >

    >The SNMP v3 USM information can be modelled naturally as a database
    >table . I would recommend you to try out the "AdventNet SNMP API 4"
    >which offers complete database support for USM / VACM .Also since it
    >is totally in Java it can be used in any platform (Linux , Solaris ,
    >Windows ..). The free evaluation copy can be downloaded from,
    >
    >http://snmp.adventnet.com/
    >

    >PS:
    >As you might be aware of , the primary purpose of storing the USM
    >information in database is *scalability* , i.e. as the number of
    >users increase, storing the information in in-memory / files will not
    >be efficient in terms of fast data access /modification . The
    >databases like Oracle & Mysql are primarily designed to store and
    >access data with maximum efficiency.
    >
    >Regards,
    >Venkatesh

  13. Re: SNMPv3 Agent for Windows XP

    Frank Fock wrote in message news:...
    > Venkatesh,
    >
    > Does the AdventNet Agent Toolkit C Edition support the Windows
    > Extensible agent
    > API?
    >
    > Why should one need to store USM information for an agent in a database for
    > scalability? Because of several reason (performance, complexity, etc.) I
    > would
    > not recommend anyone using more than 100 USM users in an agent. In almost
    > most cases, 20 should be more than enough. For such a number of users,
    > using
    > a relational database is IMHO overkill. These users can be hold in
    > memory, which
    > should be as fast as possible.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Frank Fock
    >
    > venkat wrote:
    >
    > >Dear Stephan,
    > >

    > >The SNMP v3 USM information can be modelled naturally as a database
    > >table . I would recommend you to try out the "AdventNet SNMP API 4"
    > >which offers complete database support for USM / VACM .Also since it
    > >is totally in Java it can be used in any platform (Linux , Solaris ,
    > >Windows ..). The free evaluation copy can be downloaded from,
    > >
    > >http://snmp.adventnet.com/
    > >

    > >PS:
    > >As you might be aware of , the primary purpose of storing the USM
    > >information in database is *scalability* , i.e. as the number of
    > >users increase, storing the information in in-memory / files will not
    > >be efficient in terms of fast data access /modification . The
    > >databases like Oracle & Mysql are primarily designed to store and
    > >access data with maximum efficiency.
    > >
    > >Regards,
    > >Venkatesh

    I've just had a look at the RFC 3414 where this MIB the
    SNMP-USER-BASED-SM-MIB is described. You are right, that it is more
    efficient to manage the users with this MIB and SNMPv3. But now it
    occurs another question. How can I use this MIB?
    For example: I start the agent with an initial user. And now the agent
    must get the defined admin users and the defined view for the MIB's
    automatically after the start-up. Where does the agent get this
    information?
    Sorry, for asking me so many questions, but it's hard to find the
    necessary information I need.

  14. Re: SNMPv3 Agent for Windows XP

    HI,

    Management is all about processing distributed and replicated data.

    You are concerned about one small aspect, which is the management
    of the admninistration of SNMP agents. In the simple case that
    you are describing, there is a single management domain in which
    you have identities, authentication (based on USM), and authorization
    (based on VACM). It sound like you want to support the
    following scenarios:
    1) Create an initial set of identities (and authentication for
    them), and authorization rules
    2) Add a new managed system to the domain (and populate
    the local configuration store on that system with the
    current identities, their authentication, and authorization rules
    3) Add a new identity, and "push" it and its authentication
    and authorization rules to all managed systems in the domain
    4) Delete an identity (and ....)
    5) Change the authentication for an identity (and ....)
    6) Chnage the authoriation rules for an identity (and ...)
    7) Remove a managed system from the management domain

    There are many approaches to accomplish the above scenarios.
    All can be accomplished without using a relational database,
    such as mySql. It sounds like there are several commercial
    software packages to accomplish the above. And the above
    could probably be patched together with shell scripts and
    command line programs from the NET-SNMP package.

    I hope this provides you with the big picture view to help
    you in choosing the appropriate details to satisfy your needs.

    PS You can accomplish the above without using SNMP to change
    the configuration of the SNMP administration in managed
    systems. To do so securely, you need a protocol to securely
    modify the configuration and to indicate to the agent
    to start using the new configuration.

    Send more questions if you have them.

+ Reply to Thread