result of snmpwalk does not look like it should - SNMP

This is a discussion on result of snmpwalk does not look like it should - SNMP ; Hi, Some Host do and one Host not. So I did a snmpwalk. Here is the Result. syslog:/usr/share/snmp/mibs # snmpwalk -c xxxx -v2c syslog ifdesc interfaces.ifTable.ifEntry.ifDescr.1 = lo interfaces.ifTable.ifEntry.ifDescr.2 = eth interfaces.ifTable.ifEntry.ifDescr.3 = eth interfaces.ifTable.ifEntry.ifDescr.4 = sit syslog:/usr/share/snmp/mibs # snmpwalk ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: result of snmpwalk does not look like it should

  1. result of snmpwalk does not look like it should

    Hi,

    Some Host do and one Host not.

    So I did a snmpwalk. Here is the Result.

    syslog:/usr/share/snmp/mibs # snmpwalk -c xxxx -v2c syslog ifdesc
    interfaces.ifTable.ifEntry.ifDescr.1 = lo
    interfaces.ifTable.ifEntry.ifDescr.2 = eth
    interfaces.ifTable.ifEntry.ifDescr.3 = eth
    interfaces.ifTable.ifEntry.ifDescr.4 = sit

    syslog:/usr/share/snmp/mibs # snmpwalk -c xxxx -v2c fax ifdesc
    interfaces.ifTable.ifEntry.ifDescr.1 = lo
    interfaces.ifTable.ifEntry.ifDescr.2 = eth0
    interfaces.ifTable.ifEntry.ifDescr.3 = eth1
    interfaces.ifTable.ifEntry.ifDescr.4 = eth2
    interfaces.ifTable.ifEntry.ifDescr.5 = sit0

    Any idea what causes the missing "instances" ?
    Thanks for your help.

    Christian Wittmer

    --
    Das Informationsportal. -> http://www.bietet.info
    Für Vereine kostenloser Eintrag, Veranstaltungen kostenlos!!
    Alle Formulare/Verträge sind online als PDF nachlesbar.
    Eingetragener LinuxUser #323936 http://counter.li.org

  2. Re: result of snmpwalk does not look like it should

    Hi,

    The ifTable which you are querying represents the interfaces of a
    machine.Each instance of this ifTable represents an interface in the
    host machine. The values of the ifDescr state the following ,

    a. The machine syslog has 5 interfaces i.e one loopback(lo) , 3
    ethernet(eth0, eth1, eth2 ) & one ipv6-in-ipv4 tunnel interface
    (sit0).
    b. The machine syslog has *only 4 interfaces* i.e one loopback(lo) , 2
    ethernet(eth) & one ipv6-in-ipv4 tunnel interface (sit). This is
    reason why you are getting 4 values for syslog & 5 values for fax.
    This does not imply any error / misbehaviour.

    Regards,
    Venkat


    Christian Wittmer wrote in message news:<6159314.tdVTbe7th1@sokrates>...
    > Hi,
    >
    > Some Host do and one Host not.
    >
    > So I did a snmpwalk. Here is the Result.
    >
    > syslog:/usr/share/snmp/mibs # snmpwalk -c xxxx -v2c syslog ifdesc
    > interfaces.ifTable.ifEntry.ifDescr.1 = lo
    > interfaces.ifTable.ifEntry.ifDescr.2 = eth
    > interfaces.ifTable.ifEntry.ifDescr.3 = eth
    > interfaces.ifTable.ifEntry.ifDescr.4 = sit
    >
    > syslog:/usr/share/snmp/mibs # snmpwalk -c xxxx -v2c fax ifdesc
    > interfaces.ifTable.ifEntry.ifDescr.1 = lo
    > interfaces.ifTable.ifEntry.ifDescr.2 = eth0
    > interfaces.ifTable.ifEntry.ifDescr.3 = eth1
    > interfaces.ifTable.ifEntry.ifDescr.4 = eth2
    > interfaces.ifTable.ifEntry.ifDescr.5 = sit0
    >
    > Any idea what causes the missing "instances" ?
    > Thanks for your help.
    >
    > Christian Wittmer


  3. Re: result of snmpwalk does not look like it should

    venkat wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > The ifTable which you are querying represents the interfaces of a
    > machine.Each instance of this ifTable represents an interface in the
    > host machine. The values of the ifDescr state the following ,
    >
    > a. The machine syslog has 5 interfaces i.e one loopback(lo) , 3
    > ethernet(eth0, eth1, eth2 ) & one ipv6-in-ipv4 tunnel interface
    > (sit0).
    > b. The machine syslog has *only 4 interfaces* i.e one loopback(lo) , 2
    > ethernet(eth) & one ipv6-in-ipv4 tunnel interface (sit). This is
    > reason why you are getting 4 values for syslog & 5 values for fax.
    > This does not imply any error / misbehaviour.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Venkat
    >


    Yes, that's but you didn't recognized that on 'syslog' there is only 'eth'
    and not 'eth0'
    And the second eth is also 'eth' instead of 'eth1'.

    On fax it works correctly, but on syslog not.

    Why ???

    Chris



    > Christian Wittmer wrote in message
    > news:<6159314.tdVTbe7th1@sokrates>...
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> Some Host do and one Host not.
    >>
    >> So I did a snmpwalk. Here is the Result.
    >>
    >> syslog:/usr/share/snmp/mibs # snmpwalk -c xxxx -v2c syslog ifdesc
    >> interfaces.ifTable.ifEntry.ifDescr.1 = lo
    >> interfaces.ifTable.ifEntry.ifDescr.2 = eth
    >> interfaces.ifTable.ifEntry.ifDescr.3 = eth
    >> interfaces.ifTable.ifEntry.ifDescr.4 = sit
    >>
    >> syslog:/usr/share/snmp/mibs # snmpwalk -c xxxx -v2c fax ifdesc
    >> interfaces.ifTable.ifEntry.ifDescr.1 = lo
    >> interfaces.ifTable.ifEntry.ifDescr.2 = eth0
    >> interfaces.ifTable.ifEntry.ifDescr.3 = eth1
    >> interfaces.ifTable.ifEntry.ifDescr.4 = eth2
    >> interfaces.ifTable.ifEntry.ifDescr.5 = sit0
    >>
    >> Any idea what causes the missing "instances" ?
    >> Thanks for your help.
    >>
    >> Christian Wittmer


    --
    Das Informationsportal. -> http://www.bietet.info
    Für Vereine kostenloser Eintrag, Veranstaltungen kostenlos!!
    Alle Formulare/Verträge sind online als PDF nachlesbar.
    Eingetragener LinuxUser #323936 http://counter.li.org

  4. Re: result of snmpwalk does not look like it should

    Christian Wittmer wrote:
    > Yes, that's but you didn't recognized that on 'syslog' there is only 'eth'
    > and not 'eth0'
    > And the second eth is also 'eth' instead of 'eth1'.
    >
    > On fax it works correctly, but on syslog not.
    >
    > Why ???


    There are NO requirements on what the the ifDescr field "should look
    like". I expect most agents will simply report what the OS calls the
    field, and different OSes call their interfaces different things. With
    Linux, you'll get eth0, eth1, ppp0, etc. Different agents on the same
    OS may actually report different things.

    Pete

  5. Re: result of snmpwalk does not look like it should

    Pete Flugstad wrote:

    > Christian Wittmer wrote:
    >> Yes, that's but you didn't recognized that on 'syslog' there is only
    >> 'eth' and not 'eth0'
    >> And the second eth is also 'eth' instead of 'eth1'.
    >>
    >> On fax it works correctly, but on syslog not.
    >>
    >> Why ???

    >
    > There are NO requirements on what the the ifDescr field "should look
    > like". I expect most agents will simply report what the OS calls the
    > field, and different OSes call their interfaces different things. With
    > Linux, you'll get eth0, eth1, ppp0, etc. Different agents on the same
    > OS may actually report different things.
    >
    > Pete


    Thanks for your help.
    I fixed the problem. I updated the snmpd package.
    After this it is working just fine.

    Chris

    --
    Das Informationsportal. -> http://www.bietet.info
    Für Vereine kostenloser Eintrag, Veranstaltungen kostenlos!!
    Alle Formulare/Verträge sind online als PDF nachlesbar.
    Eingetragener LinuxUser #323936 http://counter.li.org

+ Reply to Thread