snmp index question - SNMP

This is a discussion on snmp index question - SNMP ; I'm thinking about using some special index for SETs but not allow for GETs, for some special purpose. For example, a special index with value 999 is used for a table that normally has index running from 1 to 24. ...

  1. snmp index question

    I'm thinking about using some special index for SETs but not
    allow for GETs, for some special purpose. For example, a special
    index with value 999 is used for a table that normally has index
    running from 1 to 24. When I do a SET on an object (objA) within
    that table, the agent does some special purpose function and the
    SET response returns success. However, when a GET is done on objA
    with index 999, NO SUCH INSTANCE is returned. Is this still compliant
    with SNMP standard? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

    -dagosan

  2. Re: snmp index question

    dagosan wrote:

    > I'm thinking about using some special index for SETs but not
    > allow for GETs, for some special purpose. For example, a special
    > index with value 999 is used for a table that normally has index
    > running from 1 to 24. When I do a SET on an object (objA) within
    > that table, the agent does some special purpose function and the
    > SET response returns success. However, when a GET is done on objA
    > with index 999, NO SUCH INSTANCE is returned. Is this still compliant
    > with SNMP standard? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

    A clear yes/no. Many SNMP people will probably say this is broken
    since you can just provide an object which has an enumeration, can
    be set to trigger an operation and which can also return a null value
    when it is being read.

    On the other hand, with access control, you can actually configure
    write-only objects which then behave very similar to what you describe
    above.

    But if you want to be on the safe side, do not implement this magic
    object, especially if the special index overlays semantics to the objA.

    /js

    --
    Juergen Schoenwaelder International University Bremen
    P.O. Box 750 561, 28725 Bremen, Germany

+ Reply to Thread