Problems with SnmpSet and Orinoco Ap 1000 - SNMP

This is a discussion on Problems with SnmpSet and Orinoco Ap 1000 - SNMP ; Hi folks, I'm trying to write a Programm in Visual Basic reading and writing Snmp-Values over udp. I know it's easier in perl or c(++) but it was not my decission. So far I'm able to read all values mib2 ...

  1. Problems with SnmpSet and Orinoco Ap 1000

    Hi folks,

    I'm trying to write a Programm in Visual Basic reading and writing
    Snmp-Values over udp. I know it's easier in perl or c(++) but it was
    not my decission.

    So far I'm able to read all values mib2 and enterprise on windows or
    Linux/Unix worstations with enabled snmp. Setting values to these
    workstation also works fine.
    Now my problem: when I try to set a value of the router it always
    tells my, this Id does not exist (e.g. 1.3.6.1.2.1.1.6.0).
    The response tells me there is an error(2) in varbind1
    So if it not exists why am I able to read it? It's a ordenary system
    variable.

    To answer some questions:

    - yes, I do use the write community-string
    - my Ip-Adress is permitted to acces the router

    Thanks

    Revilo

  2. Re: Problems with SnmpSet and Orinoco Ap 1000

    Revilo wrote:
    > when I try to set a value of the router it always
    > tells my, this Id does not exist (e.g. 1.3.6.1.2.1.1.6.0).
    > The response tells me there is an error(2) in varbind1
    > So if it not exists why am I able to read it?

    You're using SNMPv1 - right?

    A 'noSuchName' error from a SET request is used to indicate
    "permission denied" (as well as the object not existing at all).
    That's definitely the most likely cause.

    > - yes, I do use the write community-string
    > - my Ip-Adress is permitted to acces the router

    So noted.
    However, I'd still suggest that you try making the same
    request using one of the existing SNMP tools. Can you
    set the same OID on the router, using 'snmpset' or similar?

    If you can, then the problem is with your application,
    and it's worth investigating further.
    If you can't, then the problem is probably with the
    router configuration, and you can concentrate your
    efforts on that, rather than be distracted by trying
    to track down the problem in your own code.

    Dave

  3. Re: Problems with SnmpSet and Orinoco Ap 1000

    Hi Dave,

    thanks a lot for your answer.

    Meantime I tried the same with other Snmp-Managers and recieved the
    same error. A friend of mine has a router from a different provider.
    My programs works fine with his one.

    After long-time-search I found latest firm-ware for my router.
    Hopefully looking forward for success }.

    One last question:

    What's are the importend differences between v1 and v2, in a few words.

    Thought, v1 would be the "best" version,
    cause it is supported by most Clients.

    thanks

    Revilo

  4. Re: Problems with SnmpSet and Orinoco Ap 1000

    Revilo wrote:

    > What's are the importend differences between v1 and v2, in a few words.

    Returns "partial" results
    Better error reporting
    GetBulk PDU
    64-bit Counters
    Confirmed traps

    That's 12 words. Does that qualify as "a few" ?

    Dave

  5. Re: Problems with SnmpSet and Orinoco Ap 1000

    > That's 12 words. Does that qualify as "a few" ?

    Hi Dave,

    perfekt answer. Short and all I need to know.

    Meanwhile I found the problem with my ap. Everytime you change a
    snmp-value with it's own software, the software reboots the ap.
    Without that you can't set any value…

    Tried my Software with soma other kind of access-points and it works fine.

    Only want to say thank you for your help.

    Oliver

+ Reply to Thread