SNMP (configure x monitor) - SNMP

This is a discussion on SNMP (configure x monitor) - SNMP ; Hi all, does anybody use SNMP for configure devices (mainly routers) or most of people use SNMP only for monitoring and get status of device? If so, what do you use for configure devices (CLI, web,...) and why? Could you ...

  1. SNMP (configure x monitor)

    Hi all,

    does anybody use SNMP for configure devices (mainly routers) or most of
    people use SNMP only for monitoring and get status of device?

    If so, what do you use for configure devices (CLI, web,...) and why?

    Could you tell me yours experinces?

    THANKS

    Pava

  2. Re: SNMP (configure x monitor)

    Pava wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > does anybody use SNMP for configure devices (mainly routers) or most of
    > people use SNMP only for monitoring and get status of device?
    >
    > If so, what do you use for configure devices (CLI, web,...) and why?
    >
    > Could you tell me yours experinces?
    >
    > THANKS
    >
    > Pava

    For routers, SNMP is predominantly used for monitoring. Using SNMP to
    configure routers is generally restricted to instructing routers to
    download a configuration file that has been generated by other means
    such as a PC-based configuraton file editor, or copying a configuration
    file from another router.

    For configuring routers, I think command-line is by far the most common way.

    Steve

  3. Re: SNMP (configure x monitor)

    HI,

    Whether or not SNMP is used for configuration depends on the
    device vendor and the class of device. OLD devices that have
    a CLI have only limited support for SNMP for configuration.
    (They typically have more than that described below.)
    For newer devices and very small routers, they might not
    have a CLI and use WEB and SNMP for configuration.

    There is a wide range of implementation, but since cisco
    is the leading vendor, its CLI and clones (and near clones)
    of cisco's CLI dominate. Check out cisco's WEB site for
    supported MIB modules for each of their supported
    device.

    On Tue, 18 Nov 2003, Steve Horsley wrote:
    > Pava wrote:
    > > Hi all,
    > >
    > > does anybody use SNMP for configure devices (mainly routers) or most of
    > > people use SNMP only for monitoring and get status of device?
    > >
    > > If so, what do you use for configure devices (CLI, web,...) and why?
    > >
    > > Could you tell me yours experinces?
    > >
    > > THANKS
    > >
    > > Pava
    > >

    > For routers, SNMP is predominantly used for monitoring. Using SNMP to
    > configure routers is generally restricted to instructing routers to
    > download a configuration file that has been generated by other means
    > such as a PC-based configuraton file editor, or copying a configuration
    > file from another router.
    >
    > For configuring routers, I think command-line is by far the most common way.
    >
    > Steve

    Regards,
    /david t. perkins

  4. Re: SNMP (configure x monitor)

    David T. Perkins wrote:
    > Whether or not SNMP is used for configuration depends on the
    > device vendor and the class of device. OLD devices that have
    > a CLI have only limited support for SNMP for configuration.
    > (They typically have more than that described below.)
    > For newer devices and very small routers, they might not
    > have a CLI and use WEB and SNMP for configuration.

    I know of one vendor where the basic interface to the routers is SNMP.
    Because of NOC demand they later built a standalone CLI that emulates
    Cisco, but it still talks to the router using SNMP.

    /NIels

    --
    Niels Baggesen -- @home -- Århus -- Denmark -- niels@baggesen.net
    The purpose of computing is insight, not numbers -- R W Hamming

+ Reply to Thread