Problem of subnet discovery with snmp - SNMP

This is a discussion on Problem of subnet discovery with snmp - SNMP ; Hi I tried to use snmp to discover all the hosts on a subnet. So I got all "ipRouteDest" from "ipRouteTable" from the router. To my surprise, the IP address of my own computer wasn't there. After some inspection, I ...

  1. Problem of subnet discovery with snmp

    Hi
    I tried to use snmp to discover all the hosts on a subnet.
    So I got all "ipRouteDest" from "ipRouteTable" from the router.
    To my surprise, the IP address of my own computer wasn't there.
    After some inspection, I realized that the subnet number for my
    computer's subnet IS there. I think the router is using some sort of
    aggregation algorithm to save space.

    SO, the question is, how can I discover the hosts on the subnet?

    THANKS

  2. Re: Problem of subnet discovery with snmp

    babak wrote:
    > Hi
    > I tried to use snmp to discover all the hosts on a subnet.
    > So I got all "ipRouteDest" from "ipRouteTable" from the router.
    > To my surprise, the IP address of my own computer wasn't there.
    > After some inspection, I realized that the subnet number for my
    > computer's subnet IS there. I think the router is using some sort of
    > aggregation algorithm to save space.
    >
    > SO, the question is, how can I discover the hosts on the subnet?
    >
    > THANKS

    Your best chance using SNMP is to dip into the local route's ARP table.
    That will at least give you a list of local IP addresses that the router
    has spoken to recently.

    Otherwise you will have to try to talk to each possible in turn, and see
    which ones answer.

    Steve

  3. Re: Problem of subnet discovery with snmp

    "babak" wrote in message
    news:bb6f754a.0311121335.2ac4b5e@posting.google.co m...
    > Hi
    > I tried to use snmp to discover all the hosts on a subnet.
    > So I got all "ipRouteDest" from "ipRouteTable" from the router.
    > To my surprise, the IP address of my own computer wasn't there.
    > After some inspection, I realized that the subnet number for my
    > computer's subnet IS there. I think the router is using some sort of
    > aggregation algorithm to save space.
    >
    > SO, the question is, how can I discover the hosts on the subnet?
    >
    > THANKS

    Have you considered doing a subnet broadcast of an SNMP message, and seeing
    which hosts respond?

    --
    Shripathi Kamath
    NETAPHOR SOFTWARE INC.