do I really need SNMP traps? - SNMP

This is a discussion on do I really need SNMP traps? - SNMP ; Here's one for Cisco gurus! After experimenting some with a Cat 3550 switch, it appears that most if not all of the traps are redundant with syslog messages. If true, then I should configure one or the other on my ...

  1. do I really need SNMP traps?

    Here's one for Cisco gurus!

    After experimenting some with a Cat 3550 switch, it appears that most if not
    all of the traps are redundant with syslog messages. If true, then I should
    configure one or the other on my network, but not both. My preference would
    be for syslogs, since the trap PDUs are generally hard to make sense out of.
    Opinions?

  2. Re: do I really need SNMP traps?

    "Charles" wrote:
    >After experimenting some with a Cat 3550 switch, it appears that most if not
    >all of the traps are redundant with syslog messages. If true, then I should
    >configure one or the other on my network, but not both. My preference would
    >be for syslogs, since the trap PDUs are generally hard to make sense out of.
    >Opinions?

    I think that your assessment is correct. I know of at least one large ISP
    that does (or at least did) exactly what you suggest.

    nobody

+ Reply to Thread