maximum length of an ASN object - SNMP

This is a discussion on maximum length of an ASN object - SNMP ; Hi, what is the maximum length of an ASN object? I know that an octet string can have up to 65535 octets, but how about the other objects? Thanks, Andre...

  1. maximum length of an ASN object

    Hi,

    what is the maximum length of an ASN object? I know that an octet
    string can have up to 65535 octets, but how about the other objects?

    Thanks,

    Andre

  2. Re: maximum length of an ASN object

    sieg1974@yahoo.com (sieg1974) wrote in message news:<897326d0.0311041826.6000b7f1@posting.google.com>...
    > Hi,
    >
    > what is the maximum length of an ASN object? I know that an octet
    > string can have up to 65535 octets, but how about the other objects?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Andre

    Check with RFC 2578 section 7.1

    -Kamaraj

  3. Re: maximum length of an ASN object

    HI,

    Are you asking an SNMP question or an ASN.1 question?

    As specified below, RFC 2578 section 7.1 does specify the
    max ranges and sizes of each data type. Other than OCTET STRINGS,
    there are only data types OPAQUE and BITS that have a "size"
    associated with them. Other data types are numbers and have
    ranges associated with them.

    Note that the size of an SNMP message is not constrained, but
    the number of varBinds is limited to 65535. However, having
    a message size that would cause a UDP packet to be fragmented,
    or that is bigger than the TCP window, can result in undesired
    behavior.

    If this didn't answer your question, please followup.

    On 5 Nov 2003, Kamaraj wrote:

    > sieg1974@yahoo.com (sieg1974) wrote in message news:<897326d0.0311041826.6000b7f1@posting.google.com>...
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > what is the maximum length of an ASN object? I know that an octet
    > > string can have up to 65535 octets, but how about the other objects?
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > >
    > > Andre

    > Check with RFC 2578 section 7.1
    >
    > -Kamaraj

    Regards,
    /david t. perkins

  4. Re: maximum length of an ASN object

    dperkins@snmpinfo.com wrote:

    > Note that the size of an SNMP message is not constrained, but
    > the number of varBinds is limited to 65535. However, having
    > a message size that would cause a UDP packet to be fragmented,
    > or that is bigger than the TCP window, can result in undesired
    > behavior.

    I am curious: What is the issue with the TCP window size you refer to?

    /js

    --
    Juergen Schoenwaelder International University Bremen
    P.O. Box 750 561, 28725 Bremen, Germany

+ Reply to Thread