Multiple Enterprises - One Company - SNMP

This is a discussion on Multiple Enterprises - One Company - SNMP ; Hello, My company has recently acquired another, and we the company that we acquired has an SNMP product registered under their own private enterprise. We have several products registered under our own private enterprise, but I do not want to ...

  1. Multiple Enterprises - One Company

    Hello,

    My company has recently acquired another, and we the company that we
    acquired has an SNMP product registered under their own private
    enterprise.

    We have several products registered under our own private enterprise,
    but I do not want to transfer the product that we acquired to our
    private enterprise, due to compatibility issues with existing users.

    My question is this: is there a standard way of "renaming" the
    enterprise to show that it now belongs to our our company? Maybe
    something as simple as "companyName-2"? I am sure that others have
    come across this problem, and I was just looking for a clean (and
    easy!) solution.

    Thanks,

    Tim Behne

  2. Re: Multiple Enterprises - One Company

    Tim Behne wrote:

    > My company has recently acquired another, and we the company that we
    > acquired has an SNMP product registered under their own private
    > enterprise.

    > We have several products registered under our own private enterprise,
    > but I do not want to transfer the product that we acquired to our
    > private enterprise, due to compatibility issues with existing users.

    > My question is this: is there a standard way of "renaming" the
    > enterprise to show that it now belongs to our our company? Maybe
    > something as simple as "companyName-2"? I am sure that others have
    > come across this problem, and I was just looking for a clean (and
    > easy!) solution.

    Changing OIDs is obviously a very bad idea since this causes
    interoperability problems on the wire. Changing descriptors associated
    with OIDs is also a bad idea since this causes interoperability problems
    on the SMI/MIB module layer.

    You can of course assign an additional descriptor by an ASN.1 value
    assignement but I am not sure this buys you much. What you probably want
    to do and which is safe is to republish the MIBs with an updated
    MODULE-IDENTITY clause which explains the current situation.

    /js

    --
    Juergen Schoenwaelder International University Bremen
    P.O. Box 750 561, 28725 Bremen, Germany

  3. Re: Multiple Enterprises - One Company

    > Changing OIDs is obviously a very bad idea since this causes
    > interoperability problems on the wire.

    Obviously.

    > Changing descriptors associated
    > with OIDs is also a bad idea since this causes interoperability problems
    > on the SMI/MIB module layer.

    OK, I guess maybe I a little dense here. Since the OID on the wire
    would be the same, then applications using the "older" MIB should
    still get the correct data, right?

    Are the interoperability problems that you are refering to based on
    the confusion that it would cause someone that developed an
    application with the older MIB, and now sees a MIB with all new
    descriptors, or is there something else I am missing?

  4. Re: Multiple Enterprises - One Company

    Tim Behne wrote:

    >> Changing descriptors associated
    >> with OIDs is also a bad idea since this causes interoperability problems
    >> on the SMI/MIB module layer.

    > OK, I guess maybe I a little dense here. Since the OID on the wire
    > would be the same, then applications using the "older" MIB should
    > still get the correct data, right?

    Yes, no interoperability problem on the wire. However, applications
    which refer to a specific descriptor in your MIB might break.

    > Are the interoperability problems that you are refering to based on
    > the confusion that it would cause someone that developed an
    > application with the older MIB, and now sees a MIB with all new
    > descriptors, or is there something else I am missing?

    Yes. You really want to keep the old descriptors alive to avoid
    such problems. And this is why the SMIv2 at the end of section 10.2
    recommends to not change descriptors.

    /js

    --
    Juergen Schoenwaelder International University Bremen
    P.O. Box 750 561, 28725 Bremen, Germany

  5. Re: Multiple Enterprises - One Company

    > Are the interoperability problems that you are refering to based on
    > the confusion that it would cause someone that developed an
    > application with the older MIB, and now sees a MIB with all new
    > descriptors, or is there something else I am missing?

    I went and researched some of the old threads on this subject, and
    found my answer. It appears that there are quite a few applications
    that use the descriptor, and not the OID. So I have become convinced
    that changing descriptors is the wrong thing to do... I'll just
    update the MODULE-IDENTITY and call it a day.

+ Reply to Thread