Proxying SNMP requests to a subagent - SNMP

This is a discussion on Proxying SNMP requests to a subagent - SNMP ; Hi, I have an agent for Linux written in Java which listens on the port 8001. I would like to use it as a subagent to the Linux master agent (snmpd) and the subagent is capable of handling the requests ...

  1. Proxying SNMP requests to a subagent

    Hi,

    I have an agent for Linux written in Java which listens on the port
    8001. I would like to use it as a subagent to the Linux master agent
    (snmpd) and the subagent is capable of handling the requests for the
    OIDs under the group ".1.3.6.1.4.1.xxxx". The Master agent needs to
    redirect (proxy) the SNMP requests received for the OIDs under the
    group ".1.3.6.1.4.1.xxxx" to the subagent. To achieve this
    functionality, I have added an entry in the "/etc/snmp/snmpd.conf" as
    below.

    "proxy -c public -v 1 -p 8001 localhost .1.3.6.1.4.1.xxxx"

    When I query for GET request for OIDs under the above group, I found
    two problems.

    1) If i query for GET request for any OID ( ex: .1.3.6.1.4.1.xxxx.y.z)
    under the group .1.3.6.1.4.1.xxxx, the request is not forwarded to the
    subagent. I had to add one "proxy" directive entry to the "snmpd.conf"
    for every leaf OID ( ex: .1.3.6.1.4.1.xxxx.y.z) I want to query so
    that the request is proxied to subagent. Could anyone please let me
    know the reason.

    2) After adding the above entries, the request seems to be forwarded
    to the subagent and the subagent is processing the request.But the
    response is not received if I query for an OID in that group. It gives
    the following error.

    [root@mymachine snmp]# snmpget localhost public .1.3.6.1.4.1.xxxx.y.z
    Error in packet
    Reason: (noSuchName) There is no such variable name in this MIB.
    Failed object: enterprises.xxxx.y.z

    Could anybody let me know whether the addition of the above entry is
    sufficent to achieve the above mentioned functionality. If not, please
    let me know how to complete the configuration / registration.

    Thanks
    Raju.

  2. Re: Proxying SNMP requests to a subagent

    From your mail, I understand that u r not able to get the response
    from the subagent to the master agent, but the request is forwarded
    successfully to the subagent. In such a case, the problem is only with
    the subagent.

    The proxy configuration u r making it in snmpd.conf in Linux master
    agent is only for forwarding the mesaage to the corresponding
    subagent, but not for the getting the response to my knowledge.

    So, to conclude myself, to isolate the problem whether in the master
    agent configuration or in the subagent, try to access/query the
    subagent directly from the manager which will help you to track the
    problem.

    Rgds,
    Karthik. N

    rajuce2000@yahoo.co.in (Raju) wrote in message news:...
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have an agent for Linux written in Java which listens on the port
    > 8001. I would like to use it as a subagent to the Linux master agent
    > (snmpd) and the subagent is capable of handling the requests for the
    > OIDs under the group ".1.3.6.1.4.1.xxxx". The Master agent needs to
    > redirect (proxy) the SNMP requests received for the OIDs under the
    > group ".1.3.6.1.4.1.xxxx" to the subagent. To achieve this
    > functionality, I have added an entry in the "/etc/snmp/snmpd.conf" as
    > below.
    >
    > "proxy -c public -v 1 -p 8001 localhost .1.3.6.1.4.1.xxxx"
    >
    > When I query for GET request for OIDs under the above group, I found
    > two problems.
    >
    > 1) If i query for GET request for any OID ( ex: .1.3.6.1.4.1.xxxx.y.z)
    > under the group .1.3.6.1.4.1.xxxx, the request is not forwarded to the
    > subagent. I had to add one "proxy" directive entry to the "snmpd.conf"
    > for every leaf OID ( ex: .1.3.6.1.4.1.xxxx.y.z) I want to query so
    > that the request is proxied to subagent. Could anyone please let me
    > know the reason.
    >
    > 2) After adding the above entries, the request seems to be forwarded
    > to the subagent and the subagent is processing the request.But the
    > response is not received if I query for an OID in that group. It gives
    > the following error.
    >
    > [root@mymachine snmp]# snmpget localhost public .1.3.6.1.4.1.xxxx.y.z
    > Error in packet
    > Reason: (noSuchName) There is no such variable name in this MIB.
    > Failed object: enterprises.xxxx.y.z
    >
    > Could anybody let me know whether the addition of the above entry is
    > sufficent to achieve the above mentioned functionality. If not, please
    > let me know how to complete the configuration / registration.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Raju.

+ Reply to Thread