quick guestion on snmpwalk - SNMP

This is a discussion on quick guestion on snmpwalk - SNMP ; I've been working through my largely self induced and ignorance based problems in trying to get MRTG and Net-SNMP working. I have a quick question after spending about 4 hours trying to figure out why the load wasn't being output ...

  1. quick guestion on snmpwalk

    I've been working through my largely self induced and
    ignorance based problems in trying to get MRTG and Net-SNMP
    working. I have a quick question after spending about 4 hours
    trying to figure out why the load wasn't being output
    via snmpwalk.

    Turned out if I gave the exact arg such as:

    snmpwalk -v 1 -c public localhost UCD-SNMP-MIB::laLoad.1

    or:

    snmpwalk -v 1 -c public localhost .1.3.6.1.4.1.2021.10

    I could get the load but that just a straight snmpwalk would
    not show the above. Is snmpwalk not suppose to walk the
    entire mib?

    If I collect the mibs the ucd-snmp-mib is not listed:

    $ snmpwalk -v 1 -c public localhost | awk -F : '{print $1}' | uniq
    SNMPv2-MIB
    IF-MIB
    RFC1213-MIB
    IP-MIB
    RFC1213-MIB
    IP-MIB
    TCP-MIB
    UDP-MIB
    SNMPv2-MIB

    Don

  2. Re: quick guestion on snmpwalk

    Don S wrote:

    > Is snmpwalk not suppose to walk the
    > entire mib?

    No.
    From the FAQ:

    Why can't I see values in the tree?

    The 'snmpwalk' command takes a point in the overall MIB tree, and tries
    to display all the values that lie within this subtree.....
    .... if 'snmpwalk' is called without giving an explicit
    starting point, then it will display the contents of the 'mib-2' subtree.
    It will not attempt to traverse any 'private.enterprise' subtree, such as
    the UCD-specific objects (including any local extensions).

    To walk the whole tree, specify a starting point of '.iso'.....

    Dave

  3. Re: quick guestion on snmpwalk

    Thanks Dave, it all makes sense and works as it should.

    Don

    > No.
    > From the FAQ:
    >

    > Why can't I see values in the tree?
    >
    > The 'snmpwalk' command takes a point in the overall MIB tree, and tries
    > to display all the values that lie within this subtree.....
    > .... if 'snmpwalk' is called without giving an explicit
    > starting point, then it will display the contents of the 'mib-2' subtree.
    > It will not attempt to traverse any 'private.enterprise' subtree, such as
    > the UCD-specific objects (including any local extensions).
    >
    > To walk the whole tree, specify a starting point of '.iso'.....
    >

    > Dave

+ Reply to Thread