snmp per jmx - SNMP

This is a discussion on snmp per jmx - SNMP ; Hello! Is there a way to manage an SNMP agent through a JMX agent as proxy, using for example the http interface of the JMX agent? Conceptually it would look something like this: [ SNMP Agent ] ^ | | ...

  1. snmp per jmx

    Hello!

    Is there a way to manage an SNMP agent through a JMX agent as proxy,
    using for example the http interface of the JMX agent? Conceptually it
    would look something like this:

    [ SNMP Agent ] <--- [ JMX Agent ]
    ^ |
    | HTTP Adapter <--- [ Web Browser ]

    [ SNMP Manager ]

    Any pointers or suggestions with what or how this best be done?

    Thanks, Justin.

  2. Re: snmp per jmx

    Justin Kaeser wrote:
    > Hello!
    >
    > Is there a way to manage an SNMP agent through a JMX agent as proxy,
    > using for example the http interface of the JMX agent? Conceptually it
    > would look something like this:
    >
    > [ SNMP Agent ] <--- [ JMX Agent ]
    > ^ |
    > | HTTP Adapter <--- [ Web Browser ]
    > |
    > [ SNMP Manager ]

    Hi Justin, this is indeed possible, but you have to realize that
    SNMP modelization and JMX modelization are quite different.

    SNMP is kind of "relational", while JMX is object oriented.
    As a consequence, a naive mapping between SNMP MIBs and JMX MBeans usually
    gives poor results, difficult to understand, and thus difficult to
    manage, unless the MIBs implemented by the SNMP agent are trivial.

    For your information, the Java Dynamic Management Kit from Sun
    includes an SNMP manager API which lets you get data from an
    SNMP agent. It does not perform any model-translation for you,
    that's the part you have to code yourself.
    My own experience in this (as I already said) is that attempts
    at performing automatic mappings are usually not directly usable.
    However - if you know which data you want to get and how you want
    to present by means of MBeans then managing an SNMP agent through
    JMX will be quite easy.

    See http://java.sun.com/products/jdmk/ for more info on JDMK.

    best regards,

    -- daniel

    > Any pointers or suggestions with what or how this best be done?
    >

    > Thanks, Justin.

  3. Re: snmp per jmx

    jastice@gmx.net (Justin Kaeser) wrote in message news:<7610fc74.0310280446.7918d66@posting.google.com>...
    > Hello!
    >
    > Is there a way to manage an SNMP agent through a JMX agent as proxy,
    > using for example the http interface of the JMX agent? Conceptually it
    > would look something like this:
    >
    > [ SNMP Agent ] <--- [ JMX Agent ]
    > ^ |
    > | HTTP Adapter <--- [ Web Browser ]
    > |
    > [ SNMP Manager ]
    >

    > Any pointers or suggestions with what or how this best be done?
    >

    > Thanks, Justin.

    Hi Justin,

    By using the Distributed Agent Architecture we can easily achieve the
    below requirement. i.e existing SNMP enabled Devices (SNMP Agent) to
    be managed through the HTTP Adapter or any other protocol adapter
    using a JMX layer.

    The SNMP Agent information can now be accessed through any of the JMX
    Agent's protocol adapters.

    [ SNMP Agent ] <--- [ JMX Agent ]
    ^ |
    | |-- HTTP Adapter <--- [ Web Browser ]
    | |-- RMI Adapter <-- [RMI Client]
    [ SNMP Manager ] |-- CORBA Adapter <-- [CORBA Client]
    |-- [or any other adaptor]

    AdventNet Agent Toolkit Java Edition provides a JMX-SNMP Proxy feature
    that will handle all transactions between the SNMP Agent and JMX Agent
    automatically. By default the AdventNet Multi-protocol Agent has the
    adaptors such as SNMP Adaptor, HTML Adaptor, RMI Adaptor,CORBA
    Adaptor, HTTP Adaptor and TL1 Adaptor.

    For more information, please refer:
    http://www.adventnet.com/products/ja...jmx_proxy.html

    Regads,
    Karen.R

  4. Re: snmp per jmx

    Hi,

    Generally, this is how it works with most JMX-SNMP solutions

    [ JMX/SNMP Agent ]

    HTTP Adapter <--- [ Web Browser ]
    SNMP Adapter <--- [ SNMP Manager]

    If you have a SNMP MIB and want to accessible through both SNMP and
    also make it a JMX agent, then most JMX-SNMP solutions including
    ours(http://www.koshna.com) provide a "Stub Generator" which takes a
    MIB and generates most of the stub code with which you can implement
    the SNMP Agent. These stubs will also conform to the JMX MBean specs
    (in our case they are Simple JMX MBeans that follow the MBean naming
    convention...) so that you can register them with a JMX Server...

    If you have an existing JMX Agent and want to make it manageable
    through SNMP then some of the JMX-SNMP solutions(including ours)
    provide a way to mapping of your JMX agent info to SNMP (we use a xml
    based mapping).

    Hope it helps.

    Thanks,
    Shyam.

    jastice@gmx.net (Justin Kaeser) wrote in message news:<7610fc74.0310280446.7918d66@posting.google.com>...
    > Hello!
    >
    > Is there a way to manage an SNMP agent through a JMX agent as proxy,
    > using for example the http interface of the JMX agent? Conceptually it
    > would look something like this:
    >
    > [ SNMP Agent ] <--- [ JMX Agent ]
    > ^ |
    > | HTTP Adapter <--- [ Web Browser ]
    > |
    > [ SNMP Manager ]
    >

    > Any pointers or suggestions with what or how this best be done?
    >

    > Thanks, Justin.

+ Reply to Thread