Frame Relay DTE and sub-interface - SNMP

This is a discussion on Frame Relay DTE and sub-interface - SNMP ; hi folks I'm trying to enhance our NMS so that it can monitor a Frame Relay interface. After reading RFC2115, I have some questions : If a F.R. interface contains more than one sub-interface, for instance, serial0 includes two sub-interfaces ...

  1. Frame Relay DTE and sub-interface

    hi folks

    I'm trying to enhance our NMS so that it can monitor a Frame Relay
    interface.

    After reading RFC2115, I have some questions :
    If a F.R. interface contains more than one sub-interface, for instance,
    serial0 includes two sub-interfaces : serial0.1 and serial0.2, how are these
    interfaces mapped to ifTable and frCircuitTable ?
    Does each one ( Serial0, serial0.1 and serial0.2 , respectively ) is
    associated to an entry in ifTable ? in each entry , ifType = 32 , is this
    correct ?
    Does each one (( Serial0, serial0.1 and serial0.2 , respectively ) is
    associated to an entry in frCircuitTable ? Or only the sub- interfaces (
    serial0.1 and serial0.2 ) will have an entry ?

    The best bet is to do a snmpwalk against a router, but currently I don't
    have any one to play with.

    thanks in advance
    hong

  2. Re: Frame Relay DTE and sub-interface

    Hong Chen wrote:
    > hi folks
    >
    > I'm trying to enhance our NMS so that it can monitor a Frame Relay
    > interface.
    >
    > After reading RFC2115, I have some questions :
    > If a F.R. interface contains more than one sub-interface, for instance,
    > serial0 includes two sub-interfaces : serial0.1 and serial0.2, how are these
    > interfaces mapped to ifTable and frCircuitTable ?

    It may depend on the product you are talking to.

    > Does each one ( Serial0, serial0.1 and serial0.2 , respectively ) is
    > associated to an entry in ifTable ? in each entry , ifType = 32 , is this
    > correct ?

    Ah, Cisco IOS. Yes, each subinterface will have its own entry in
    ifTable. Beware that not all variables are available. For instance,
    errors and discards are not counted for subinterfaces although octets
    in/out are.

    > Does each one (( Serial0, serial0.1 and serial0.2 , respectively ) is
    > associated to an entry in frCircuitTable ? Or only the sub- interfaces (
    > serial0.1 and serial0.2 ) will have an entry ?

    I think there will be an entry in the frCircuitTable for every PVC. An
    interface or subinterface may have one (point-to-point) or more
    (point-to-multipoint) PVCs associated with it.

    > The best bet is to do a snmpwalk against a router, but currently I don't
    > have any one to play with.

    It is indeed.

    > thanks in advance
    > hong

    Steve

  3. Re: Frame Relay DTE and sub-interface

    thanks.

    My major concern is Cisco, and different version of IOS will have different
    behavior. before IOS 10.x, it does not create an entry for a sub-interface,
    but later one will do this.

    There is not standard talking about this association thing, and this really
    depends on specific implementation, which make our lives much more difficult
    ..

    hong

    "Steve Horsley" wrote in message
    > Hong Chen wrote:
    > > hi folks
    > >
    > > I'm trying to enhance our NMS so that it can monitor a Frame Relay
    > > interface.
    > >
    > > After reading RFC2115, I have some questions :
    > > If a F.R. interface contains more than one sub-interface, for instance,
    > > serial0 includes two sub-interfaces : serial0.1 and serial0.2, how are

    these
    > > interfaces mapped to ifTable and frCircuitTable ?

    > It may depend on the product you are talking to.
    >
    > > Does each one ( Serial0, serial0.1 and serial0.2 , respectively ) is
    > > associated to an entry in ifTable ? in each entry , ifType = 32 , is

    this
    > > correct ?

    > Ah, Cisco IOS. Yes, each subinterface will have its own entry in
    > ifTable. Beware that not all variables are available. For instance,
    > errors and discards are not counted for subinterfaces although octets
    > in/out are.
    >
    > > Does each one (( Serial0, serial0.1 and serial0.2 , respectively ) is
    > > associated to an entry in frCircuitTable ? Or only the sub- interfaces (
    > > serial0.1 and serial0.2 ) will have an entry ?
    > >

    > I think there will be an entry in the frCircuitTable for every PVC. An
    > interface or subinterface may have one (point-to-point) or more
    > (point-to-multipoint) PVCs associated with it.
    >
    > > The best bet is to do a snmpwalk against a router, but currently I don't
    > > have any one to play with.
    > >

    > It is indeed.
    >
    > > thanks in advance
    > > hong