snmp trap contents - SNMP

This is a discussion on snmp trap contents - SNMP ; hello, there I am newbie with SNMP and terms still are quite mess to me so try to understand if I ask silly or simple things. I am able to receive SNMP traps with Perl SNMP_Session module, but translating content ...

  1. snmp trap contents

    hello, there

    I am newbie with SNMP and terms still are quite mess to me
    so try to understand if I ask silly or simple things.

    I am able to receive SNMP traps with Perl SNMP_Session module,
    but translating content to 'human readable' format seem's
    a little bit difficult.

    1: Is MIB's description field somewhere inside in the trap ?

    2: The OID pick up from trap seems to be quite easy, but if
    I want to get the corresponding description field from
    the MIB must I have whole worlds MIB files loaded on
    the receiving host ? or is there other ways to it ?

    3: Is there any www recources, which translates OID to
    correspond MIB information or vice versa ?

    best regards,
    Sami

  2. Re: snmp trap contents

    Samppa wrote:

    > hello, there
    >
    > I am newbie with SNMP and terms still are quite mess to me
    > so try to understand if I ask silly or simple things.
    >
    > I am able to receive SNMP traps with Perl SNMP_Session module,
    > but translating content to 'human readable' format seem's
    > a little bit difficult.

    You should have a look at this:

    http://snmptt.sourceforge.net/

    Regards