Splitting up long variables - SNMP

This is a discussion on Splitting up long variables - SNMP ; Hi group, maybe I am making a newbie question, but I have come across it and I couldn't find an adequate answer. If I had a variable of very big size, let's say 1MB or so, can SNMP split it ...

  1. Splitting up long variables

    Hi group,

    maybe I am making a newbie question, but I have come across it and I
    couldn't find an adequate answer.

    If I had a variable of very big size, let's say 1MB or so, can SNMP split it
    up in several messages? I know that the minimum size for the messages
    accepted by every SNMP implementation is 484 bytes. How could then the
    manager recombine this messages? What I am trying to do is assign a variable
    the value of the SEL (System Event Log) to a variable, but as it may be
    quite big, I think there would be problems, wouldn't it?

    Well, thanks in advance

  2. Re: Splitting up long variables

    Agustin wrote:

    > If I had a variable of very big size, let's say 1MB or so, can SNMP split it
    > up in several messages? I know that the minimum size for the messages
    > accepted by every SNMP implementation is 484 bytes. How could then the
    > manager recombine this messages? What I am trying to do is assign a variable
    > the value of the SEL (System Event Log) to a variable, but as it may be
    > quite big, I think there would be problems, wouldn't it?

    1) The max. theoretic size of an OCTET STRING is 64k.

    2) The MIB has to fragment the data appropriately. See the smCodeTable
    defined in RFC 3165 for a possible example how to do this.

    /js

    --
    Juergen Schoenwaelder International University Bremen
    P.O. Box 750 561, 28725 Bremen, Germany

  3. Re: Splitting up long variables

    Thank you very much, I will take a look at it

    Gruessen

    "Juergen Schoenwaelder" wrote in message
    > Agustin wrote:
    >
    > > If I had a variable of very big size, let's say 1MB or so, can SNMP

    split it
    > > up in several messages? I know that the minimum size for the messages
    > > accepted by every SNMP implementation is 484 bytes. How could then the
    > > manager recombine this messages? What I am trying to do is assign a

    variable
    > > the value of the SEL (System Event Log) to a variable, but as it may be
    > > quite big, I think there would be problems, wouldn't it?

    > 1) The max. theoretic size of an OCTET STRING is 64k.
    >
    > 2) The MIB has to fragment the data appropriately. See the smCodeTable
    > defined in RFC 3165 for a possible example how to do this.
    >
    > /js
    >
    > --
    > Juergen Schoenwaelder International University Bremen
    > P.O. Box 750 561, 28725 Bremen,

    Germany

+ Reply to Thread