sometimes GET returns a null PDU ( Netaphor ) - SNMP

This is a discussion on sometimes GET returns a null PDU ( Netaphor ) - SNMP ; I am getting a strange error ( I am using Netaphor's SNMP APIs ). I've written a test client that does a 'get' for sysDescr. If I run the client, say, 10 times, then I get a response PDU 5-6 ...

  1. sometimes GET returns a null PDU ( Netaphor )

    I am getting a strange error ( I am using Netaphor's SNMP APIs ). I've
    written a test client that does a 'get' for sysDescr. If I run the client,
    say, 10 times, then I get a response PDU 5-6 times, and the rest of the
    times, I just get a null PDU as response.

    If I check the agent response through a third-party debugger, I can see that
    every time exactly same response was sent by the agent. Still I got 'null'
    at times.

    The timeout that I've set is of 1 sec ( and I've tried setting a higher
    value also, which doesn't help ).

    Also, if I set the retires as anything more than 0 ( say, 5 ), the
    probability of getting a null PDU decreases considerably. In the debugger I
    can see that multiple get requests were attempted ( of which, one fetched
    the currect PDU, although all of them had exactly same response PDU from the
    agent ).

    What can be the reasons for the same ?

    ps. Since the agent is also running on the same machine, I don't see any UDP
    packet loss as the reason. The only difference that I can see in my usage of
    the APIs is that this time I am using some threads also.

  2. Re: sometimes GET returns a null PDU ( Netaphor )

    "Namit" wrote in message
    > I am getting a strange error ( I am using Netaphor's SNMP APIs ). I've
    > written a test client that does a 'get' for sysDescr. If I run the client,
    > say, 10 times, then I get a response PDU 5-6 times, and the rest of the
    > times, I just get a null PDU as response.
    >
    > If I check the agent response through a third-party debugger, I can see

    that
    > every time exactly same response was sent by the agent. Still I got 'null'
    > at times.
    >
    > The timeout that I've set is of 1 sec ( and I've tried setting a higher
    > value also, which doesn't help ).
    >
    > Also, if I set the retires as anything more than 0 ( say, 5 ), the
    > probability of getting a null PDU decreases considerably. In the debugger

    > can see that multiple get requests were attempted ( of which, one fetched
    > the currect PDU, although all of them had exactly same response PDU from

    the
    > agent ).
    >
    > What can be the reasons for the same ?
    >
    > ps. Since the agent is also running on the same machine, I don't see any

    UDP
    > packet loss as the reason. The only difference that I can see in my usage

    of
    > the APIs is that this time I am using some threads also.

    Please contact support@netaphor.com if you have purchased the support
    options, or post to the appropriate newsgroup on news.netaphor.com.

    --
    Shripathi Kamath
    NETAPHOR SOFTWARE INC.

+ Reply to Thread