Problems using a certain Veritas-MIB with snmptrapd - SNMP

This is a discussion on Problems using a certain Veritas-MIB with snmptrapd - SNMP ; Hi group, I have trouble adding the MIB for Veritas Storage Replicator (ss_rx.mib). I use Suse 8.1 (kernel 2.4.19) and ucdsnmp-4.2.5. I moved the mib to /usr/share/snmp/mibs and restarted the snmptrapd-daemon without errors. However, the OIDs are not interpreted. Instead, ...

  1. Problems using a certain Veritas-MIB with snmptrapd

    Hi group,

    I have trouble adding the MIB for Veritas Storage Replicator
    (ss_rx.mib). I use Suse 8.1 (kernel 2.4.19) and ucdsnmp-4.2.5.

    I moved the mib to /usr/share/snmp/mibs and restarted the
    snmptrapd-daemon without errors. However, the OIDs are not
    interpreted. Instead, snmptrapd writes the following
    to /var/log/messages when it receives a Veritas Storage
    Replicator Trap:

    | Enterprise Specific Trap (133) Uptime: )

    As I'm fairly new to SNMP, any help would be greatly appreciated.

    Regards,
    Mark

    --
    "Gimme about 10 seconds to think for a minute..."

  2. Re: Problems using a certain Veritas-MIB with snmptrapd

    Mark Neis wrote:
    > I moved the mib to /usr/share/snmp/mibs and restarted the
    > snmptrapd-daemon without errors. However, the OIDs are not
    > interpreted. Instead, snmptrapd writes the following
    > to /var/log/messages when it receives a Veritas Storage
    > Replicator Trap:

    > | Enterprise Specific Trap (133) Uptime: )

    The net-snmp tools only load a select set of mib by default. You have to
    tell it which one to load, possibly with the -mALL option to snmptrapd.

    /Niels

    --
    Niels Baggesen -- @home -- ┼rhus -- Denmark -- niels@baggesen.net
    The purpose of computing is insight, not numbers -- R W Hamming

  3. Re: Problems using a certain Veritas-MIB with snmptrapd

    Niels Baggesen wrote:

    >Mark Neis wrote:
    >> I moved the mib to /usr/share/snmp/mibs and restarted the
    >> snmptrapd-daemon without errors. However, the OIDs are not
    >> interpreted. Instead, snmptrapd writes the following
    >> to /var/log/messages when it receives a Veritas Storage
    >> Replicator Trap:

    >> | Enterprise Specific Trap (133) Uptime: )

    >The net-snmp tools only load a select set of mib by default. You have to
    >tell it which one to load, possibly with the -mALL option to snmptrapd.

    I don't think that that's the problem.
    snmptrapd is loading with following options:
    | snmptrapd -a -m all -s -c /etc/snmptrapd.conf

    Moreover, OIDs from other MIBs (IBM, Compaq) do work.

    Later,
    Mark

    --
    "Gimme about 10 seconds to think for a minute..."

  4. Re: Problems using a certain Veritas-MIB with snmptrapd

    Mark Neis wrote:
    > I don't think that that's the problem.
    > snmptrapd is loading with following options:
    > | snmptrapd -a -m all -s -c /etc/snmptrapd.conf

    > Moreover, OIDs from other MIBs (IBM, Compaq) do work.

    OK, that was just the easy guess. Are you sure that the trap is defined
    in the mib in question (as a TRAP-TYPE or NOTIFICATION-TYPE) ?

    Does the mib actually load without problems? (you did check for error
    messages, didn't you)?

    /Niels

    --
    Niels Baggesen -- @home -- ┼rhus -- Denmark -- niels@baggesen.net
    The purpose of computing is insight, not numbers -- R W Hamming

  5. Re: Problems using a certain Veritas-MIB with snmptrapd

    Niels Baggesen wrote:

    >Are you sure that the trap is defined
    >in the mib in question (as a TRAP-TYPE or NOTIFICATION-TYPE) ?

    The trap is defined as a TRAP-TYPE in the ss-rx.mib as follows
    (Additional linebreaks inserted by me):

    | RXMIB DEFINITIONS ::= BEGIN
    | IMPORTS
    | enterprises, TimeTicks
    | FROM RFC1155-SMI
    | DisplayString
    | FROM RFC1213-MIB
    | OBJECT-TYPE
    | FROM RFC-1212;
    |
    | veritassoftware OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= { enterprises 1302 }
    | products OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= { veritassoftware 3 }
    | storagereplicator OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= { products 10 }
    |
    | lsName OBJECT-TYPE
    | SYNTAX DisplayString (SIZE (0..48))
    | ACCESS read-only
    | STATUS mandatory
    | DESCRIPTION
    | "Name of this Storage Replicator for NT"
    | ::= { storagereplicator 1 }
    |
    | lsManager OBJECT-TYPE
    | SYNTAX DisplayString (SIZE (0..255))
    | ACCESS read-write
    | STATUS mandatory
    | DESCRIPTION
    | "The administrator of the Storage Replicator for NT"
    | ::= { storagereplicator 2 }
    |
    | lsAge OBJECT-TYPE
    | SYNTAX TimeTicks
    | ACCESS read-only
    | STATUS mandatory
    | DESCRIPTION
    | "Value of sysUpTime at the time the Storage
    | Replicator for NT was started"
    | ::= { storagereplicator 3 }
    |
    | rxecAlertRmsJobRunningWithErrors TRAP-TYPE
    | ENTERPRISE storagereplicator
    | DESCRIPTION
    | "Job is running with errors (At least one pair
    | did not start)."
    | ::= 133

    ....and so on.

    >Does the mib actually load without problems? (you did check for error
    >messages, didn't you)?

    I do check var/log/messages, but there are no errors in the logfile. I
    tested the interpretation with the trapgen utility[1]. When looking in
    /var/log/messages, the interpretation always finished with
    "enterprises.veritassoftware.veritasproducts.10".

    I guess that snmptrapd can't interpret the storagereplicator OBJECT-
    Type. Something is wrong here, but I haven't been able to find a way to
    fix it yet.

    Mark

    ~
    [1] http://www.ncomtech.com/download.htm

    --
    "Gimme about 10 seconds to think for a minute..."

  6. Re: Problems using a certain Veritas-MIB with snmptrapd

    Mark Neis wrote:
    > I do check var/log/messages, but there are no errors in the logfile. I
    > tested the interpretation with the trapgen utility[1]. When looking in
    > /var/log/messages, the interpretation always finished with
    > "enterprises.veritassoftware.veritasproducts.10".

    Could you please post the exact command you used and the exact result
    from snmptrapd. Could you maybe try with the net-snmp snmptrap command
    too ... there we will know exactly what pdu is being generated ...

    /Niels

    --
    Niels Baggesen -- @home -- ┼rhus -- Denmark -- niels@baggesen.net
    The purpose of computing is insight, not numbers -- R W Hamming

+ Reply to Thread