Understanding MIB-Compiler - SNMP

This is a discussion on Understanding MIB-Compiler - SNMP ; Hello NG, I have the following question: Is it right, that a MIB-Compiler doesn't create a "binary MIB" but create some Source-Code which is based by the MIB you used? That means the MIB-Compiler creates some wrapper-code, where you only ...

  1. Understanding MIB-Compiler

    Hello NG,
    I have the following question:
    Is it right, that a MIB-Compiler doesn't create a "binary MIB" but
    create some Source-Code which is based by the MIB you used? That means
    the MIB-Compiler creates some wrapper-code, where you only have to fill
    the get- and set-routines to your variables.
    If this is so - where can I get a good MIB-Compiler for use with the
    OS9-Operating-System for RadiSys (aka Microware)?

    Thank you in advance

  2. Re: Understanding MIB-Compiler

    In article , niemand@nix.de says...
    > Hello NG,
    > I have the following question:
    > Is it right, that a MIB-Compiler doesn't create a "binary MIB" but
    > create some Source-Code which is based by the MIB you used? That means
    > the MIB-Compiler creates some wrapper-code, where you only have to fill
    > the get- and set-routines to your variables.

    A MIB Compiler is a general term for any program that parses MIB module
    information (normally in SMI format), performs some amount of validation
    (that varies from compiler to compiler), and generally converts the MIB
    to some other format. The format of the output depends on the compiler
    and its purpose, what you want to do with the MIB, etc.

    Some of these are source code generators: they generate stubs/templates
    for implementation in an agent that handle the basic SNMP operational
    support, while the user supplies additional code to implement the object-
    specific semantics.

    Some convert the SMI format to another format that is easier to implement
    parsers for in NMS applications: they typically discard textual
    information (descriptions etc.) that aren't needed by the NMS and follow
    a more rigid format like MOSY or other so-called "back end" formats like
    XML etc. The benefit of XML, for example, is that you can use any off-
    the-shelf XML parser to load the MIB information (provided you use the
    compiler's output is actually valid XML, which some aren't) and the
    implementation just needs to handle the MIB data without worrying about
    the parser. XML can also its self be used as a format to be converted to
    still another through e.g. XSLT - using style sheets and an off-the-shelf
    XSLT processor to generate the desired output.

    Others generate, for example, simple lists of fully-qualified (non-
    relative) object identifiers paired with descriptors, various visual
    formats like textual trees, etc. Still others don't generate any
    converted MIB output at all but simply perform validation and sanity
    checks on the parsed MIB module. All of these things fall under the
    general term of a MIB compiler.

    > If this is so - where can I get a good MIB-Compiler for use with the
    > OS9-Operating-System for RadiSys (aka Microware)?

    That I don't have a direct answer for, not being familiar with that
    particular system. You might start by talking to that application's
    vendor and/or heading to www.snmplink.org and looking at the various
    links listed there. If you don't find one that supports it directly, you
    might consider one that is extensible with scripting capabilities and/or
    XML support for custom output formats (such as Muonics'). Though if you
    look to go the XML route, be sure to look closely at the format supported
    by the tools and understand the common problems. Most implement an old
    DTD with a lot of problems in it, though I've made our schema available
    to all.

    --
    Michael Kirkham
    Muonics

  3. Re: Understanding MIB-Compiler

    Andreas Paul wrote:
    > Hello NG,
    > I have the following question:
    > Is it right, that a MIB-Compiler doesn't create a "binary MIB" but
    > create some Source-Code which is based by the MIB you used? That means
    > the MIB-Compiler creates some wrapper-code, where you only have to fill
    > the get- and set-routines to your variables.
    > If this is so - where can I get a good MIB-Compiler for use with the
    > OS9-Operating-System for RadiSys (aka Microware)?

    Icon Labs has a number of ex-Microware people working for us. We also
    sell the Envoy SNMP toolkit on various OSes. We don't currently have
    a port of Envoy to OS9, but given our experience and the fact that
    Envoy is highly portable, I'd be very surprised if we couldn't get you
    a version that works for OS9 pretty quickly.

    This would include the Envoy MIB compiler which will run on whatever
    your host OS is (i.e. Windows, Solaris, Linux, etc). You'd use the
    MIB compiler to generate various data structures Envoy uses and
    various function stubs for implementing get/next/set processing.

    Our web page is at http://www.icon-labs.com.

    Contact info@icon-labs.com for more information.

    Pete
    --
    Pete Flugstad
    Remove NO.SPAM to reply directly

  4. Re: Understanding MIB-Compiler

    Dear Andreas Paul

    I would like to introduce AdventNet Agent Toolkit Java Edition 5.1
    which has tools like MIB Compiler, MIB Editior, MIB Browser etc., The
    product is compatible with any OS that supports Java. This will meet
    all your requirements.

    AdventNet Agent Toolkit Java Edition 5.1 can be downloaded from
    the below url

    http://www.adventnet.com/products/ja.../download.html

    For online documentation of the product,

    http://www.adventnet.com/products/javaagent/help/

    By using the MIBCompiler, you can generate the SNMP Agent for any
    loaded MIB. These agent can be ported to OS-9.

    Thanks
    Ramanathan
    http://www.adventnet.com

    Andreas Paul wrote in message news:...
    > Hello NG,
    > I have the following question:
    > Is it right, that a MIB-Compiler doesn't create a "binary MIB" but
    > create some Source-Code which is based by the MIB you used? That means
    > the MIB-Compiler creates some wrapper-code, where you only have to fill
    > the get- and set-routines to your variables.
    > If this is so - where can I get a good MIB-Compiler for use with the
    > OS9-Operating-System for RadiSys (aka Microware)?
    >
    > Thank you in advance

+ Reply to Thread