Assignment of Enterprise OID & Trap Specific Id by EVNTWIN - SNMP

This is a discussion on Assignment of Enterprise OID & Trap Specific Id by EVNTWIN - SNMP ; HI, We have created a message resource file, compiled it and got all the registry entries required for our new appliaction to place entries into the Windows Event Log and EVNTWIN to "see" our new application. The problem we are ...

  1. Assignment of Enterprise OID & Trap Specific Id by EVNTWIN

    HI,

    We have created a message resource file, compiled it and got all the
    registry entries required for our new appliaction to place entries
    into the Windows Event Log and EVNTWIN to "see" our new application.
    The problem we are trying to solve is the next step in getting an SNMP
    trap sent. When we use EVNTWIN to "turn on" the flag to send those
    specific messages as an SNMP trap, an ENTERPRISE OID and a Trap
    Specific ID is automatically assigned.

    Is there any way to have control over these 2 assignments? We would
    like to at least assign our own Trap Specific ID. The ENTERPRISE OID
    we can live with. The Trap Specific ID is too large of a number and HP
    Openview receives a negative Trap Specific ID which causes us problems
    when doing correlation.

    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    -- Bill

  2. Re: Assignment of Enterprise OID & Trap Specific Id by EVNTWIN

    I have found out how the enterprise OID is generated. Microsoft
    substitutes the actual ascii number in place of the letter of the name
    of the application. Each OID starts with 311 (Microsoft) .1.13.1.XX.
    a.b.c.d.e. XX would be the length of the app name (ie assume name is
    Evntwin, then this value would be "7". Following this would be
    69.118.110.116.119.105.110. "A"=68, "Z"=90, "a"=97 & "z"=122

    -- Bill

+ Reply to Thread