SNMP Error code - SNMP

This is a discussion on SNMP Error code - SNMP ; Hi, When we tring to create an entry with SET request, the entry which is already existing in the table.what appropriate error code should i return, when set request is failed. Because all validations of the entry values will be ...

  1. SNMP Error code

    Hi,
    When we tring to create an entry with SET request, the entry
    which is already existing in the table.what appropriate error code
    should i return, when set request is failed.

    Because all validations of the entry values will be success in the
    validation phase.But it fails in the second phase.
    (RFC 3416 Section 4.2.5)

    Thanks In advance
    Kamaraj

  2. Re: SNMP Error code

    It should be "inconsistent value" to be set as error code. also, see
    the 10th point in that section 4.2.5 which will explain this
    situation.

    also if you look into that SNMPv2-TC which explains about the creation
    of new row using the rowstatus column and it explains the various
    errors levels to be set for a failure case.

    Regards,
    Karthik

    pkamaraj@rediffmail.com (Kamaraj) wrote in message news:<2318efa1.0309252225.7a56cbda@posting.google.com>...
    > Hi,
    > When we tring to create an entry with SET request, the entry
    > which is already existing in the table.what appropriate error code
    > should i return, when set request is failed.
    >
    > Because all validations of the entry values will be success in the
    > validation phase.But it fails in the second phase.
    > (RFC 3416 Section 4.2.5)
    >
    > Thanks In advance
    > Kamaraj

  3. Re: SNMP Error code

    HI,

    What result you get all depends on the object definitions that make
    up the table, row, and columnar objects.

    As specified below, if your row includes a column with data
    type defined using the RowStatus TC, and your SET included
    an instance of the object with value 'createAndGo', or 'createAndWait'
    and the instance already exists, then the appropriate response
    is error 'inconsistentValue'. However, an agent could return
    other responses if the table does not include an object with
    data type 'RowStatus', or the SET request does not include
    an instance of the RowStatus object. RFC 2579 includes the definition
    of the RowStatus TC.

    On 1 Oct 2003, Karthikeyan.N wrote:
    > It should be "inconsistent value" to be set as error code. also, see
    > the 10th point in that section 4.2.5 which will explain this
    > situation.
    >
    > also if you look into that SNMPv2-TC which explains about the creation
    > of new row using the rowstatus column and it explains the various
    > errors levels to be set for a failure case.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Karthik
    >

    > pkamaraj@rediffmail.com (Kamaraj) wrote in message news:<2318efa1.0309252225.7a56cbda@posting.google.com>...
    > > Hi,
    > > When we tring to create an entry with SET request, the entry
    > > which is already existing in the table.what appropriate error code
    > > should i return, when set request is failed.
    > >
    > > Because all validations of the entry values will be success in the
    > > validation phase.But it fails in the second phase.
    > > (RFC 3416 Section 4.2.5)
    > >
    > > Thanks In advance
    > > Kamaraj

+ Reply to Thread