Developing an snmp agent - SNMP

This is a discussion on Developing an snmp agent - SNMP ; Hi, I would like to obtain an advice being based on your experience. The fact is that I must develop an SNMP Agent using EMANATE ( from SNMP Research ). It must be finished in four or five months. I ...

  1. Developing an snmp agent

    Hi,

    I would like to obtain an advice being based on your experience. The
    fact is that I must develop an SNMP Agent using EMANATE ( from SNMP
    Research ). It must be finished in four or five months. I would like
    to know the effort I will make to do. Is there anyone with experience
    in developing mibs? is one person enough to develop the mibs in four o
    five months?

    Any comment will be welcome,

    Thanks

    Ricardo

  2. Re: Developing an snmp agent

    Hi,

    Regarding the Mib development, AdventNet offers you a solution by
    providing a
    tool MibEditor (GUI Application) through which the various constructs
    conforming
    to SMIV1 and SMIV2 specifications can be created or modified in a
    very short
    time.

    For more information kindly refer the below URL,

    http://www.adventnet.com/products/ja...definemib.html

    Regards,
    Rajesh
    AdventNet Inc.

    http://www.adventnet.com

    rguardia@indra.es (Riki) wrote in message news:<45814723.0309250741.27c449fb@posting.google.com>...
    > Hi,
    >

    > I would like to obtain an advice being based on your experience. The
    > fact is that I must develop an SNMP Agent using EMANATE ( from SNMP
    > Research ). It must be finished in four or five months. I would like
    > to know the effort I will make to do. Is there anyone with experience
    > in developing mibs? is one person enough to develop the mibs in four o
    > five months?
    >
    > Any comment will be welcome,
    >

    > Thanks
    >

    > Ricardo

  3. Re: Developing an snmp agent

    HI,

    Given the following...

    On 26 Sep 2003, Riki wrote:

    > Thanks David what you has told me it's very useful. I realise I did
    > not give you enough information. As I said, I must develop an agent
    > using EMANATE. the agent will be based on SNMPv2c because this is
    > version that will use the Manager. I have to implement eigth mibs that
    > are already written in ASN.1. Some of them define differents traps
    > that must be sent and historical tables where they must be recorded.
    > There are not tables with create access.
    > The other mibs do not have many read-write objects. Do you think that
    > for someone that has never used EMANATE this implementation can take
    > several months?
    >
    > Regarding to the tests, do tou think I should buy a test tool ? how
    > much does it cost a test tool (an approach) ?

    The probability of accomplishing developing the agent in a few months
    looks pretty high given that the MIB modules are already defined
    with no instance creation and few read-write objects.

    Note that the support organization for SNMP Research is pretty
    responsive, which should improve the probablity of success.

    There are several test packages such as that from Interworking Labs
    (www.iwl.com). However, I have not recently evaluated
    all of the products that are available. Thus, I cannot give you
    comparison of features and their costs.

    But, since it appears that the manager application already exists,
    then you can start with it, and use the testing software to verify
    that all looks good. In general, its not really prudent to use
    one management platform or application for testing, since many
    are designed to work with agents (or MIB modules) that have flaws.
    If you test with just one, then release the product, the agent
    may not interoperate with another package that does not operate
    with the flaws.

    Hope all turns out well for you!

    Regards,
    /david t. perkins

  4. Re: Developing an snmp agent

    Riki ...

    You may want to look at the steps we take when we implement agents for
    customers (http://www.jsnmp.com/services.html#agent_position). While not
    necessarily applicable for your situation, it should give you some idea what
    is involved. We always build a Gantt chart of all of the steps and make
    estimates for the customer from that. I suggest you do the same and make
    your estimates from that.

    What usually takes the most time is for our customers to deliver a library
    for accessing the data. The second is to design and implement the test
    plan. If you already have the data access library, then you are well on
    your way.

    Regards,

    Jim Pickering
    jSNMP Enterprises
    http://www.jsnmp.com

    "Riki" wrote in message
    news:45814723.0309250741.27c449fb@posting.google.c om...
    > Hi,
    >

    > I would like to obtain an advice being based on your experience. The
    > fact is that I must develop an SNMP Agent using EMANATE ( from SNMP
    > Research ). It must be finished in four or five months. I would like
    > to know the effort I will make to do. Is there anyone with experience
    > in developing mibs? is one person enough to develop the mibs in four o
    > five months?
    >
    > Any comment will be welcome,
    >

    > Thanks
    >

    > Ricardo