Any way to avoid specifiying DisplayString as the Index - SNMP

This is a discussion on Any way to avoid specifiying DisplayString as the Index - SNMP ; I have a table in the MIB that has only one column of type Display String (0..64) which is also the index of the table. Now if an entry in the table contains "foo", the index (if I understand correctly) ...

  1. Any way to avoid specifiying DisplayString as the Index

    I have a table in the MIB that has only one column of type Display
    String (0..64) which is also the index of the table. Now if an entry
    in the table contains "foo", the index (if I understand correctly)
    will be 3.102.111.111. This is really a pain. So my question, is there
    any workaround to avoid specifiying DisplayStrings as indices of the
    table.

    Thanx
    --Mirza

  2. Re: Any way to avoid specifiying DisplayString as the Index

    Asra wrote:
    > I have a table in the MIB that has only one column of type Display
    > String (0..64) which is also the index of the table. Now if an entry
    > in the table contains "foo", the index (if I understand correctly)
    > will be 3.102.111.111. This is really a pain. So my question, is there
    > any workaround to avoid specifiying DisplayStrings as indices of the
    > table.
    >
    > Thanx
    > --Mirza

    You could use "small numbers" as is done with ifIndex in the ifMIB - but
    it has the big disadvantage that the index is no longer predictible:
    you will have to walk the whole table to find out which is the index of the
    entry named "foo".

    Hope this helps,

    -- daniel

  3. Re: Any way to avoid specifiying DisplayString as the Index

    Asra wrote:
    > I have a table in the MIB that has only one column of type Display
    > String (0..64) which is also the index of the table. Now if an entry
    > in the table contains "foo", the index (if I understand correctly)
    > will be 3.102.111.111. This is really a pain. So my question, is there
    > any workaround to avoid specifiying DisplayStrings as indices of the
    > table.

    Not sure why you think this is a pain...

    /js

    --
    Juergen Schoenwaelder International University Bremen
    P.O. Box 750 561, 28725 Bremen, Germany

+ Reply to Thread