New to SNMP - SNMP

This is a discussion on New to SNMP - SNMP ; Hello All, I would like to setup a way that my cisco routers will send me an alert via email when a link goes down. I suppose SNMP would be great for this? Do I have to spend a lot ...

  1. New to SNMP

    Hello All,

    I would like to setup a way that my cisco routers will send me an
    alert via email when a link goes down. I suppose SNMP would be great
    for this?

    Do I have to spend a lot of money in order to get this to work?
    Does anyone know any sites to help me set this up?

    Thank you for your help!

  2. Re: New to SNMP

    Trandar wrote:
    > I would like to setup a way that my cisco routers will send me an
    > alert via email when a link goes down. I suppose SNMP would be great
    > for this?

    Piece of cake ...

    > Do I have to spend a lot of money in order to get this to work?
    > Does anyone know any sites to help me set this up?

    Get and install Net-SNMP (www.net-snmp.org)

    Go configure your routers, something like

    snmp-server host 192.168.1.2 trap version 2c public
    snmp-server enable traps coldstart
    snmp-server enable traps link

    Exact commands depend on your router/IOS version

    Create /usr/local/share/snmp/snmptrapd.conf with something like

    traphandle SNMPv2-MIB::coldStart /usr/local/bin/traptoemail manager@host.com
    traphandle IF-MIB::linkDown /usr/local/bin/traptoemail manager@host.com
    traphandle IF-MIB::linkUp /usr/local/bin/traptoemail manager@host.com

    and run /usr/local/sbin/snmptrapd

    /Niels

    --
    Niels Baggesen -- @home -- Århus -- Denmark -- niels@baggesen.net
    The purpose of computing is insight, not numbers -- R W Hamming

+ Reply to Thread