Implementing SNMP on Redhat 7.3 - SNMP

This is a discussion on Implementing SNMP on Redhat 7.3 - SNMP ; All, I've got a requirement to set up my linux servers (redhat 7.3) to send snmp traps to the network syslog. I haven't worked much with snmp, but I know linux has some snmp capabilities out of the box. My ...

  1. Implementing SNMP on Redhat 7.3

    All,

    I've got a requirement to set up my linux servers (redhat 7.3) to send
    snmp traps to the network syslog. I haven't worked much with snmp,
    but I know linux has some snmp capabilities out of the box. My
    question is, can I use the native snmp tools or do I need to load
    Net-Snmp or something like that?

    TIA

    Sean

  2. Re: Implementing SNMP on Redhat 7.3

    Sean wrote:
    > I've got a requirement to set up my linux servers (redhat 7.3) to
    > send snmp traps to the network syslog. I haven't worked much with
    > snmp, but I know linux has some snmp capabilities out of the box.
    > My question is, can I use the native snmp tools or do I need to load
    > Net-Snmp or something like that?

    "Linux" is the kernel - it supports the information SNMP needs,
    but not the protocol itself (except as UDP packets) which an "SNMP
    agent" implements. So there is no "native" SNMP in Linux.

    Red Hat 7.3 almost certainly comes with Net-SNMP, which is what
    you want to use. You probably want to look at:

    http://www.net-snmp.org/man/snmptrapd.html

    Pete
    --
    Pete Flugstad