how to specify protocol version in MIB? - SNMP

This is a discussion on how to specify protocol version in MIB? - SNMP ; hello folks, i'm trying for the first time to write a relatively complex mib, and i would be very glad of a little help..... pleeeese :-) as far as i can make out, the Protocol version an agent uses to ...

  1. how to specify protocol version in MIB?

    hello folks,

    i'm trying for the first time to write a relatively complex mib, and i
    would be very glad of a little help..... pleeeese :-)

    as far as i can make out, the Protocol version an agent uses to
    communicate does not have to be the same as the SMI version the MIB is
    written in, so for various reasons i've chosen.....

    * SNMP Protocol version 1 for communication
    * SMI-2 conventions for writing the MIB

    am i right in thinking this is a fair enough way to go, or should i
    really be using SMI-1 if i want to use protocol version 1?

    if this approach IS OK, where in the MIB am i meant to specify the
    protocol version to use with this agent? surely it is an important
    thing to specify, so i assume there is a standard way to define this

    but there again, maybe i am fundamentally misguided :-)

    aparimana

  2. Re: how to specify protocol version in MIB?

    aparimana wrote:
    > i'm trying for the first time to write a relatively complex mib, and i
    > would be very glad of a little help..... pleeeese :-)
    >
    > as far as i can make out, the Protocol version an agent uses to
    > communicate does not have to be the same as the SMI version the MIB is
    > written in, so for various reasons i've chosen.....
    >
    > * SNMP Protocol version 1 for communication
    > * SMI-2 conventions for writing the MIB
    >
    > am i right in thinking this is a fair enough way to go, or should i
    > really be using SMI-1 if i want to use protocol version 1?

    No, this is reasonable. But I think SNMP Protocol 2 would be a
    better choice as it has better error reporting. Generally if an
    agent implements SNMPv1, it'll probably do SNMPv2 by this time,
    as the additional work is pretty small. And SNMPv3 provides
    security.

    > if this approach IS OK, where in the MIB am i meant to specify the
    > protocol version to use with this agent? surely it is an important
    > thing to specify, so i assume there is a standard way to define this
    >
    > but there again, maybe i am fundamentally misguided :-)

    A little... :-)

    Basically, the MIB describes the data to be accessed - the WHAT.
    The agent implementor determines what protocols can be used to
    access that data - the HOW. Thus, other than using something
    like Counter64, which only SNMPv2 supports, a MIB can be carried
    in either SNMPv1 or SNMPv2, and it can't really control which.

    So as a MIB writer, you can't really choose this. You get to
    choose if you use SMIv1 or SMIv2 (use v2 for all new MIBs), but
    not how the agent chooses to make it available.

    Pete

    --
    Pete Flugstad
    Remove NO.SPAM to reply directly

  3. Re: how to specify protocol version in MIB?

    aparimana wrote in message news:...
    > hello folks,
    >
    > i'm trying for the first time to write a relatively complex mib, and i
    > would be very glad of a little help..... pleeeese :-)
    >
    > as far as i can make out, the Protocol version an agent uses to
    > communicate does not have to be the same as the SMI version the MIB is
    > written in, so for various reasons i've chosen.....
    >
    > * SNMP Protocol version 1 for communication

    SNMPv1 was declared to be historic some time ago, you should realy use
    SNMPv2.

    > * SMI-2 conventions for writing the MIB
    >
    > am i right in thinking this is a fair enough way to go, or should i
    > really be using SMI-1 if i want to use protocol version 1?

    You are right. the SMI version has nothing with the SNMP protocol
    version.

    > if this approach IS OK, where in the MIB am i meant to specify the
    > protocol version to use with this agent? surely it is an important
    > thing to specify, so i assume there is a standard way to define this
    >
    > but there again, maybe i am fundamentally misguided :-)
    >
    > aparimana

    Ye, you are misguided . An agent can support several versions of the
    SNMP protocol (there are some practical reasons for doing so) at the
    same time. In any case a managment application can discover the
    version quite easily (try SNMPv1, SNMPv2 ... until success) so it does
    not need this information.

    Mark.

  4. Re: how to specify protocol version in MIB?

    HI,

    On versions....
    SNMPv1 has been labeled as "historic", but this was done for political
    reasons, and in certain environments it is the best and most
    appropriate choice.
    However, SNMPv2c (not SNMPv2, since SNMPv2 is ambiguous!), provides
    some additional capabiliites. But note that it was labeled as
    "experimental", and is now also labeled as "historic".
    SNMPv3 with User Security Model (USM) is a labled as a "standard",
    which is informally called a "full standard".

    Most current SNMP toolkits support SNMPv1, SNMPv2c, and SNMPv3 w/ USM.

    On 18 Aug 2003, Mark Kaplun wrote:
    > aparimana wrote in message news:...
    > > hello folks,
    > >
    > > i'm trying for the first time to write a relatively complex mib, and i
    > > would be very glad of a little help..... pleeeese :-)
    > >
    > > as far as i can make out, the Protocol version an agent uses to
    > > communicate does not have to be the same as the SMI version the MIB is
    > > written in, so for various reasons i've chosen.....
    > >
    > > * SNMP Protocol version 1 for communication

    > SNMPv1 was declared to be historic some time ago, you should realy use
    > SNMPv2.
    >
    > > * SMI-2 conventions for writing the MIB
    > >
    > > am i right in thinking this is a fair enough way to go, or should i
    > > really be using SMI-1 if i want to use protocol version 1?
    > >

    > You are right. the SMI version has nothing with the SNMP protocol
    > version.
    >
    > > if this approach IS OK, where in the MIB am i meant to specify the
    > > protocol version to use with this agent? surely it is an important
    > > thing to specify, so i assume there is a standard way to define this
    > >
    > > but there again, maybe i am fundamentally misguided :-)
    > >
    > > aparimana

    > Ye, you are misguided . An agent can support several versions of the
    > SNMP protocol (there are some practical reasons for doing so) at the
    > same time. In any case a managment application can discover the
    > version quite easily (try SNMPv1, SNMPv2 ... until success) so it does
    > not need this information.
    >
    > Mark.

    Regards,
    /david t. perkins

  5. Re: how to specify protocol version in MIB?

    Mark Kaplun wrote:
    > aparimana wrote in message news:...
    >>
    >> as far as i can make out, the Protocol version an agent uses to
    >> communicate does not have to be the same as the SMI version the MIB is
    >> written in, so for various reasons i've chosen.....
    >>
    >> * SNMP Protocol version 1 for communication

    > SNMPv1 was declared to be historic some time ago, you should realy use
    > SNMPv2.

    SNMPv2c has also been retired (and it was never on the standards-track
    either). I suggest to check RFC 3410:

    The document explains why using SNMPv3 instead of SNMPv1 or SNMPv2 is
    strongly recommended. The document also recommends that RFCs 1157,
    1441, 1901, 1909 and 1910 be retired by moving them to Historic
    status. This document obsoletes RFC 2570.

    So, from the IETF perspective, you should switch to SNMPv3. From a
    practical perspective, it is just important that you follow RFC 3416
    (formerly RFC 1905) when writing instrumentation code since all the
    other stuff is usually handled by tweaking the setup of your SNMP
    agent development toolkit. (If you do not have a toolkit, get one
    since developing without a good toolkit is just a waste of resources.)

    >> if this approach IS OK, where in the MIB am i meant to specify the
    >> protocol version to use with this agent? surely it is an important
    >> thing to specify, so i assume there is a standard way to define this

    The protocol you actually use is more a policy decision than
    anything else. In some cases, people require a certain protocol (e.g.
    SNMPv3 in the cable modem space). But from an agent development point
    of view, this is just irrelevant.

    /js

    --
    Juergen Schoenwaelder International University Bremen
    P.O. Box 750 561, 28725 Bremen, Germany

+ Reply to Thread