Port net-snmp to VxWorks - SNMP

This is a discussion on Port net-snmp to VxWorks - SNMP ; Hello, I have extended the net-snmp agent with my own MIB modules and it works fine for the HP-UX, Solaris, Linux and Windows 2000 platform. Does anybody know which way to go to port it to the VxWorks platform? Has ...

  1. Port net-snmp to VxWorks

    Hello,

    I have extended the net-snmp agent with my own MIB modules and it works fine
    for the HP-UX, Solaris, Linux and Windows 2000 platform. Does anybody know
    which way to go to port it to the VxWorks platform? Has anyone succeeded in
    doing so and can tell me about it? As i starter i want to concentrate solely
    on the MIB2 module.

    Tia, Rob Sloot

  2. Re: Port net-snmp to VxWorks

    Rob Sloot wrote:
    > I have extended the net-snmp agent with my own MIB modules and it works fine
    > for the HP-UX, Solaris, Linux and Windows 2000 platform. Does anybody know
    > which way to go to port it to the VxWorks platform? Has anyone succeeded in
    > doing so and can tell me about it? As i starter i want to concentrate solely
    > on the MIB2 module.

    vxWorks comes with Envoy SNMP toolkit (aka WindManage SNMP) which
    provides a fully functional MIB2 agent. I believe the network
    stack has a MIB2 API independant of the actual SNMP support (see
    the m2Lib reference page). There are several ways to dynamically
    extend this agent, including AgentX.

    The reason I point this out is that net-snmp is very "unix" based,
    or at the least, "process" based. It almost certainly makes
    assumption about memory usage, static variables, FD handling and so
    on (I don't know for sure, I haven't looked at the internals of
    net-snmp, and it's likely that the net-snmp *library* is different
    than the net-snmp *agent*).

    vxWorks is an entirely different beast, and *in general* porting
    unix utils to it is an exercise in frustration :-/. I know
    (http://www.icon-labs.com/product_iconfidantCLI.html) - granted
    that SSH is different than SNMP. I would expect porting net-snmp
    to vxWorks to be exceedingly painful.

    Envoy, on the other hand, has few OS specific issues, but doesn't
    provide many of the features that net-snmp does on non-WindRiver
    OSes. We provide MIB2 implementations for Envoy on Linux, Solaris,
    and *BSD. We could probably do HP-UX as well. We did WinNT in the
    past, but I haven't looked at doing it on Win2k/XP yet - no demand
    :-).

    Pete
    --
    Pete Flugstad