MIB Validation & repair tool - SNMP

This is a discussion on MIB Validation & repair tool - SNMP ; Hi, Is there something out there that could validate And fix non conformant MIB text files Thanks...

  1. MIB Validation & repair tool

    Hi,

    Is there something out there that could validate And fix non conformant MIB
    text files

    Thanks

  2. Re: MIB Validation & repair tool

    Marc Leclerc wrote:

    > Is there something out there that could validate And fix non conformant MIB
    > text files

    Automated fixes are risky since in many cases, it is hard to figure out
    for a program what the human author intented to do (and sometimes this
    is even hard for humans). But anyway, minor problems are fixed if you
    run "smidump -f smiv2" using best guesses (but again, it is good to have
    a human to check the fixes).

    /js

    --
    Juergen Schoenwaelder International University Bremen
    P.O. Box 750 561, 28725 Bremen, Germany

  3. Re: MIB Validation & repair tool

    Hi Marc,

    MIB Designer can help you fixing your MIBs. You can compile
    them using a lenient mode compiler which forgives many common
    errors. Then you can fix the MIB module easily with the GUI.
    For more details and screenshots see:
    http://www.mibdesigner.com

    As Juergen Schoenwaelder pointed out, in most cases
    repairing MIB files automatically will fail. Even in cases where it
    would be possible, for example changing

    SYNTAX INTEGER { ANEnum-Label(1) }

    into

    SYNTAX INTEGER { aNEnumLabel(1) }

    It would give best results, since one would certainly change it

    SYNTAX INTEGER { anEnumLabel(1) }

    Regards,
    Frank Fock

    Marc Leclerc wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >Is there something out there that could validate And fix non conformant MIB
    >text files
    >
    >Thanks

  4. Re: MIB Validation & repair tool

    In article <3F3904A0.8060101@SPAM.icon-labs.com>,
    pete.flugstad.NO@SPAM.icon-labs.com says...
    > Marc Leclerc wrote:
    > > Is there something out there that could validate And fix non conformant MIB
    > > text files

    Nay-sayers aside, there are quite a few common errors that MIB Smithy
    will automatically correct for you -- mostly on loading, some upon saving
    and some upon editing propreties (e.g. sorting things that need to be in
    property order). It will, however, generally tell you about what it's
    done to make the correction if it means changing anything that might be
    referenced by anything else (e.g. changing underscores, which are
    illegal, to hyphens, which are generally only permitted by way of
    changing an SMIv1 module to SMIv2).

    --
    Michael Kirkham
    Muonics

  5. Re: MIB Validation & repair tool

    In article , fock@agentpp.com says...

    > SYNTAX INTEGER { ANEnum-Label(1) }
    > into
    > SYNTAX INTEGER { aNEnumLabel(1) }

    Except you wouldn't want to remove the hyphen, because it's perfectly
    legal provided the module started out as ASN.1. (The uppercase first
    letter, of course, isn't legal with any version.)

    --
    Michael Kirkham
    Muonics

  6. Re: MIB Validation & repair tool

    In article ,
    NOSPAM.mikek-cpsnmp@muonics.com.NOSPAM says...

    > legal provided the module started out as ASN.1. (The uppercase first

    Oops! Been a long day. I meant "started out as SMIv1"!

    --
    Michael Kirkham
    Muonics

  7. Re: MIB Validation & repair tool

    Michael Kirkham wrote:

    >In article , fock@agentpp.com says...
    >

    >>SYNTAX INTEGER { ANEnum-Label(1) }
    >>into
    >>SYNTAX INTEGER { aNEnumLabel(1) }
    >>

    >Except you wouldn't want to remove the hyphen, because it's perfectly
    >legal provided the module started out as ASN.1. (The uppercase first
    >letter, of course, isn't legal with any version.)

    Yes, I obviously omitted that detail, however many people also seem to
    use underscores ("_") in enumeration labels which is illegal in SMIv1
    and SMIv2.

    Frank Fock

+ Reply to Thread