SNMP in conjuction with client-server software - SNMP

This is a discussion on SNMP in conjuction with client-server software - SNMP ; We are suplier of network registration software, and want to enhance our software with SNMP functionality. I have played a little bit with managers and mibs and agents and so on, to become familiar with the new stuff. My question ...

  1. SNMP in conjuction with client-server software

    We are suplier of network registration software, and want to enhance our
    software with SNMP functionality.
    I have played a little bit with managers and mibs and agents and so on, to
    become familiar with the new stuff.
    My question is how to handle with our client-server technique, together with
    snmp.

    The most straightforward solution is to equip each client workstation with
    an (3rd party) snmp component, and query immediately to appropiate agents,
    and catch traps from agents.
    But therefor, each agent, from which you want to receive traps, must be
    configured with the client machine's (ip). (Ok, sometimes not necessary)
    But client ip addresses CAN change day over day (DHCP), and if they are not
    changing, configuring each agent with a bunch Ip addresses takes up a lot of
    work.

    My question now, is how one should handle this concept together with SNMP.
    Is there a kind of proxy around, where I can send requests to, and forward
    them, and will forward received traps to connected clients.
    I heard and played with an trap forwarder (which will arise on the server),
    but the first unpleasant thing is, of course, that the senders address will
    be "destroyed". Ok, you can solve that with adding a value to the trap, with
    the "real" senders ip address, but it sounds a bit too complicated.
    I can imagine that I am not the first one which encounters this situation,
    so I am hopefull someone gives me a 'trap' into the right direction.

    Thanks in advance for reading,

    Remco
    The Netherlands

  2. Re: SNMP in conjuction with client-server software

    Can he send a trap to the network broadcast address? that
    would only work on the same subnet though

+ Reply to Thread