Simple snmp application - SNMP

This is a discussion on Simple snmp application - SNMP ; Please HELP ME! I'm a poor system engineer involved in a sort of bench test. I use Labview environment to control various measurement equipments. Also I've to collect automatically informations from an optical link using the snmp protocol. Labview can ...

  1. Simple snmp application

    Please HELP ME!

    I'm a poor system engineer involved in a sort of bench test.
    I use Labview environment to control various measurement equipments.
    Also I've to collect automatically informations from an optical link using
    the snmp protocol.
    Labview can send and receive UDP datagrams but i don't know how to perform
    the query and how to read the information.
    I know that snmp arrange the variables in a tree and i can acces to them
    just giving the coordinates.
    I don't have the right skill to study snmp so fast.

    Can someone help me?

  2. Re: Simple snmp application

    snmpget -c hostname
    mib.variable.you.want.to.query

    I'm assuming you have a machine that has snmmpget available to you.

    Another way of doing it is snmpwalk -c communitystring hostname then
    parsing the output.

    I typically do
    snmpget -c community hostname system.sysUpTime.0 >>outputfile.name

    which is run via cron every minute with the results in the
    outputfile.name processed into a database where you can do whatever you
    need to with it.

    Fotofago wrote:
    > Please HELP ME!
    >
    > I'm a poor system engineer involved in a sort of bench test.
    > I use Labview environment to control various measurement equipments.
    > Also I've to collect automatically informations from an optical link using
    > the snmp protocol.
    > Labview can send and receive UDP datagrams but i don't know how to perform
    > the query and how to read the information.
    > I know that snmp arrange the variables in a tree and i can acces to them
    > just giving the coordinates.
    > I don't have the right skill to study snmp so fast.
    >
    > Can someone help me?

+ Reply to Thread