Re: Renaming Objects - Impact to SNMP Managers - SNMP

This is a discussion on Re: Renaming Objects - Impact to SNMP Managers - SNMP ; Kai Mao wrote: > What is the impact of having two sets of MIBs with different > objects that have the same OID? Is this a bad thing? If so, > can we never change the name of an existing ...

  1. Re: Renaming Objects - Impact to SNMP Managers

    Kai Mao wrote:

    > What is the impact of having two sets of MIBs with different
    > objects that have the same OID? Is this a bad thing? If so,
    > can we never change the name of an existing object?

    In general, renaming objects is a bad idea. However, if nobody in
    the external world uses your MIB, then the problem is a local problem.
    Otherwise, people who use your MIB will not be your friends if you
    rename things.

    /js

    --
    Juergen Schoenwaelder International University Bremen
    P.O. Box 750 561, 28725 Bremen, Germany

  2. Re: Renaming Objects - Impact to SNMP Managers

    HI,

    Just to add more emphasis to Juergen's response...

    Once you have "published" (that is made available to others)
    definitions, then making interoperable changes will result
    in problems!

    This is one of those fundamental issues with distributed systems.
    That is, you cannot control others, because you used a
    standard technology and published definitions to others
    that you have no control or knowledge of their usage.

    This is one of the reasons why it is my belief that a MIB
    designer should not create and publish definitions for commercial
    products without the appropriate training and experience,
    which generally takes about 6 months except for the most
    trivial designs.

    On 24 Jul 2003, Juergen Schoenwaelder wrote:
    > Kai Mao wrote:
    >
    > > What is the impact of having two sets of MIBs with different
    > > objects that have the same OID? Is this a bad thing? If so,
    > > can we never change the name of an existing object?

    > In general, renaming objects is a bad idea. However, if nobody in
    > the external world uses your MIB, then the problem is a local problem.
    > Otherwise, people who use your MIB will not be your friends if you
    > rename things.
    >
    > /js

    Regards,
    /david t. perkins