SNMP to IPv6 - SNMP

This is a discussion on SNMP to IPv6 - SNMP ; Hi, Many of the standard mibs, like all mibs in MIB2, are designed and implemented for IPv4. Is ther any corresponding MIBs designed for IPv6 address? Thanks, Eric....

  1. SNMP to IPv6

    Hi,

    Many of the standard mibs, like all mibs in MIB2, are designed and
    implemented for IPv4. Is ther any corresponding MIBs designed for IPv6
    address?

    Thanks,

    Eric.

  2. Re: SNMP to IPv6

    Eric Chi wrote:

    > Many of the standard mibs, like all mibs in MIB2, are designed and
    > implemented for IPv4. Is ther any corresponding MIBs designed for IPv6
    > address?

    There are RFC 2452, RFC 2454, RFC 2465 and RFC 2466. However, there
    is I think agreement in the IETF that these RFCs took the wrong approach
    and there is work to obsolete these RFCs. So you probably do not want
    to implement them. The replacement work is documented in the following
    RFCs:

    draft-ietf-ipv6-rfc2011-update-03.txt.gz
    draft-ietf-ipv6-rfc2012-update-03.txt.gz
    draft-ietf-ipv6-rfc2013-update-01.txt.gz
    draft-ietf-ipv6-rfc2096-update-04.txt.gz

    /js

    --
    Juergen Schoenwaelder International University Bremen
    P.O. Box 750 561, 28725 Bremen, Germany

  3. Re: SNMP to IPv6

    "Eric Chi" asks:
    > Many of the standard mibs, like all mibs in MIB2, are designed and
    > implemented for IPv4. Is ther any corresponding MIBs designed for IPv6
    > address?

    Indeed there are, although most are still works-in-progress. The working
    group responsible for them is the IPv6 working group; mailing list
    subscription and information is available from its charter page at

    http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/ipv6-charter.html

    along with a list of current Internet-Drafts and RFCs. The ones that will
    be of interest to you are:

    http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/...-update-03.txt
    http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/...-update-03.txt

    which contain the integrated IPv4/IPv6 IP and TCP MIB modules and

    http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/...-update-04.txt

    which contains the version-neutral of the IP forwarding table MIB. There
    was also a UDP MIB draft

    http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/...-update-01.txt

    but it has expired; presumably, an updated version will be posted when a
    new editor can be found for it. In the meantime there is RFC 2454, but it
    will be obsoleted when a new version of ipv6-rfc2013-update is approved,
    so it's probably unwise to implement it.

    Note that when approved rfc2011-update will obsolete RFCs 2011, 2465 and
    2466 and that rfc2012-update will obsolete RFCs 2012 and 2452. These
    drafts are now in WG last call. Similarly, rfc2096-update will obsolete
    RFC 2096 and will replace ipv6RouteNumber and ipv6RouteTable from RFC 2465.
    This draft appears to be approaching WG last call.

    Another thing you'll want to look at is RFC 3291 or its repacement draft
    http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/...3291bis-01.txt ...
    this document contains the INET-ADDRESS-MIB, which has the TEXTUAL-CONVENTIONS
    that are used to make IP version-neutral MIB modules. There is a requirement
    from the OPS area that new MIB modules are to be version-neutral when it makes
    sense to be, and for such modules these TCs will be used in place of IpAddress.

    nobody

+ Reply to Thread