snmp error messages - SNMP

This is a discussion on snmp error messages - SNMP ; Hi All, I have the latest linux running on my machine and I just installed net-snmp. However, if I try to use any of the SNMP commands (snmpget, snmpwalk, etc) to talk to a machine, I get the following errors: ...

  1. snmp error messages

    Hi All,

    I have the latest linux running on my machine and I just installed
    net-snmp. However, if I try to use any of the SNMP commands (snmpget,
    snmpwalk, etc) to talk to a machine, I get the following errors:

    > Timeout: No Response from ....

    I tried both net-snmp ver 5.0.8 and ucd-snmp 4.2.6 and installed
    them, but
    both gave me the same results. As a test, I used "tcpdump" to look at
    the
    messages going back the forth between my machine and the remote
    machine, and
    I found that the snmpwalk program were sending both SNMP and ICMP
    packets to the SNMP port of the machine instead of SNMP packets. This
    doesn't seem to make sense.

    Does anyone have any idea why this is happening? I have another
    machine with an older linux installation and an older ucd-snmp package
    and it works.

    thanks for your help!

    Paul

  2. Re: snmp error messages

    Paul wrote:

    > I have the latest linux running on my machine and I just installed
    > net-snmp. However, if I try to use any of the SNMP commands (snmpget,
    > snmpwalk, etc) to talk to a machine, I get the following errors:
    >
    > > Timeout: No Response from ....

    The most likely cause is access control settings.
    Check the snmpd.conf file for how these have been configured.
    There are a couple of entries in the FAQ that may be relevant.

    Other things to check are:
    - is the agent actually running?
    (obvious I know, but it's worth making sure)
    - have you got IP-Tables filtering enabled,
    and if so, does it let through SNMP traffic?

    If you start the agent as

    snmpd -f -L -d

    you'll be able to see whether the request packets are being received
    or not. This may help you pin down the cause of the problem.

    Dave

+ Reply to Thread