Forwading SNMP traps - SNMP

This is a discussion on Forwading SNMP traps - SNMP ; I'm looking to creat and agent that will receive SNMP traps and forward them to a traphost. Possibly one that is running OpenView. Is there anything I need to keep in mind when forwarding the traps? Show I modify them ...

  1. Forwading SNMP traps

    I'm looking to creat and agent that will receive SNMP traps
    and forward them to a traphost. Possibly one that is running
    OpenView. Is there anything I need to keep in mind when
    forwarding the traps? Show I modify them before sending? Is
    there a protocol for forwarding?

    Thanks,
    Chris

  2. Re: Forwading SNMP traps

    Chris Fowler wrote:

    > I'm looking to creat and agent that will receive SNMP traps
    > and forward them to a traphost.

    It's perhaps a bit misleading to describe such a tool as an
    "agent", which tends to be purely a notification generator
    rather than a notification receiver as well.

    The current (development) version of the Net-SNMP 'snmptrapd'
    handler now supports this functionality. And I suspect that
    there are other tools that do so too.

    > Is there anything I need to keep in mind when
    > forwarding the traps? Show I modify them before sending? Is
    > there a protocol for forwarding?

    Probably the main thing to bear in mind is how to convert from
    an incoming SNMPv2c or SNMPv3 notification, into an outgoing
    SNMPv1 trap (or vice versa).
    This is described in the Coexistence document, RFC 2578.
    (Though I believe there's an updated version due out fairly
    shortly).

    Dave

  3. Re: Forwading SNMP traps

    Dave Shield wrote:

    > Probably the main thing to bear in mind is how to convert from
    > an incoming SNMPv2c or SNMPv3 notification, into an outgoing
    > SNMPv1 trap (or vice versa).
    > This is described in the Coexistence document, RFC 2578.
    > (Though I believe there's an updated version due out fairly
    > shortly).
    >
    > Dave

    Do I need to do a conversion or can I just pass it through
    with no modifications?

+ Reply to Thread