Hi,

I want to obtain the description of a specific OID on a remote machine similar with snmptranslate on a local machine.

Is it possible?

For example, to obtain the description of system.SysLocation on the local machine

$snmptranslate -Td -OS -IR system.sysLocation

will display the description

SNMPv2-MIB::sysLocation
sysLocation OBJECT-TYPE
-- FROM SNMPv2-MIB, RFC1213-MIB
-- TEXTUAL CONVENTION DisplayString
SYNTAX OCTET STRING (0..255)
DISPLAY-HINT "255a"
MAX-ACCESS read-write
STATUS current
DESCRIPTION "The physical location of this node (e.g., 'telephone
closet, 3rd floor'). If the location is unknown, the
value is the zero-length string."
::= { iso(1) org(3) dod(6) internet(1) mgmt(2) mib-2(1) system(1) 6 }

Can we do the same for a remote machine to obtain the description of a proprietary OID? For example:

$ snmptranslate-like_command remote_machine_IP OID

Thank you.